Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lighting candles...

Yes, there are reasons that I haven't been posting at all.

To leave you all mid story is horrible, but my life has been a huge challenge since the day I came out to my father. There has been lots of good, mostly thanks to being back in the city I love, seeing people I love. But there has been bad, including a lot of family stress and a funeral, which I'll explain at some point soon.

And there's been the busy. I've been run off my feet, to say the least, since the first second of the academic year. I'm a project manager of our practical exercises (and more I cannot say, I'm sorry :p), which requires me to be on call (and on hand) 24/7. Seriously, this is the first night since starting out that I've been home by this early part of the evening. It's enjoyable work, but it's draining; I have basically no life outside of what has now become my 'job' and I feel like I'm missing out on a few opportunities to get back into the swing of Toronto life.

Still, I've managed to be as social as possible throughout all this, even if it means getting fairly little sleep. As one friend put it, I'm still putting myself out there, even if I'm sacrificing sleep and laundry time.

But none of this is really what spurred me to write this post today. I've got bigger annoyances at the moment.

It's my birthday this week.

Again, the year has gone by, and it's once again time for me to 'celebrate' my being born. And again, it's once again time for me to be more stressed and annoyed than celebratory.

Already, my close friends have asked me what my plans are. Where would I like to go? What would I like to do? How would I like to celebrate this joyous occasion? My answer is the same as every year: I simply don't know.

Like every year before, my birthday brings out more stress and anxiety than feelings of happiness and love. The same questions are asked, the same answer given. To put it bluntly, the sum of all my fears can be expressed in one question:

If I had a birthday party, would anyone come?

Sounds insane, I know. But it's something that has always worried me. I have great friends, know people in different walks of life and different towns and cities. But I don't have the archetypal 'group of friends' that so many people identify themselves with. I've got small pockets of people, but not enough to fill a room simultaneously with 30 people who all know each other.

And each time I get asked what I want to do, my insides shrink a little. I don't want to say aloud that I'd have a hard time trying to figure out just who would exactly care enough to spend the evening celebrating my birthday.

So as usual, instead of trying to set up an elaborate series of birthday-style events, I've simply stuck my head in the sand.

Another sticking point is the gay thing. My roommates want to be a part of my birthday, but they want me to be able to kiss boys if I want to. I appreciate that fact, since James will most likely be part of my birthday plans. We can't make out drunkenly at a straight bar...it's just not done. But at the same time, no matter what I wind up doing, I'll have to be as inclusive as possible.

"So, we figured that we could have dinner on Friday night together," one roommate said, "and then you and James can go out with your gay friends."

In my mind, I heard a very loud voice ask, "What gay friends?"

It is truly annoying to be reminded, at a time when you're supposed to be happy and exuberant, that there really is something amiss. While I'd love to go gay for my birthday, the fact remains that I just really don't have any gay friends. Guys I dated aside, I still don't have my 'gay group', even though the rest of the world apparently thinks that I do.

Then again, I'm still overwhelmed when I think of having to attempt to round up a group of people, gay, straight or otherwise, to be in the same spot at the same time on my behalf.

I don't have long to decide. I've never really had a 'great' birthday before, merely a slew of unremarkable ones (and a few crappy ones, like last year). For my part, I'd almost prefer to pretend that it's any other day, and to just carry on with life as is. But I question whether that's because I'm truly non-plussed about the event itself or because I'm horrified at the implications of a poorly executed celebration.

Maybe I'll just close my eyes, and hope that someone else will just do it all for me...

10 comments:

blueyedboy said...

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only person who has this attitude towards birthdays! When my most recent one came along, I didn't tell any of my friends or my housemates and so I basically just ignored it and did absolutely nothing to celebrate it. I don't see that there's a lot to celebrate, and I hate being the centre of attention like that. I had a party a couple of years ago, but that was only because I had it jointly with a much more outgoing friend of mine whose birthday was like just the day after mine or something. I'd never have filled the venue with my own friends, but with so many people there that she had invited, there was a really nice atmosphere and I actually had quite a good time.

But all that aside - happy birthday for whatever day it is, and I hope you manage to enjoy your day/night, whatever it is that you end up doing :)

S said...

I'd come, but I'm the only person you know who works more than you do :)

Aek said...

Happy birthday! Whenever it is this week. I know exactly what you mean by "pockets of friends." I tend to have really small non-overlapping groups of friends.

I think it'd be awkward to plan a birthday where I'd attempt to get them all together . . . they might just sit in their own discrete groups. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

I felt a lot of myself in what you said, except that I barely have people asking me what I'm going to do for my Birthday. So have some solace in that. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one.

I had one time I was out with some friends and their friends and mother, but they didn't know it was my birthday until the topic came up for some reason. So that ended up being a nice Birthday.

- Mike

manxxman said...

Why not just celebrate with James. You know the night will be a good one and the next time you see your friends have them buy you drinks to celebrate.....I think James (and that make out session) count a bit more.

manxxman said...

Why not just celebrate with James. You know the night will be a good one and the next time you see your friends have them buy you drinks to celebrate.....I think James (and that make out session) count a bit more.

B said...

Happy Birthday! I don't make a huge deal out of mine either--and like you, I don't have a typical social group.

Anonymous said...

HAPY BIRTHDAY



HAIRYBEARS
http://hairybears.blogspot.com/

gay, christian and scared shitless said...

Happy Birthday Brains. I left you a voice mail :-P

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!
Its good you're in the city you love with the people you love, it's important.

Cheers,
Elaine