Monday, June 9, 2008

Why!?!?...

I like to think I have good but 'eclectic' taste for a gay 21-year-old.

Instead of worshiping current Top 40, I worship Top 40 from 30 years ago. While people know every word from Madonna's Hard Candy album, I know every word from Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. I prefer real voices and guitars over synthetic bass and Pro-Tools enhanced wailing. 'Eclectic' seems to fit.

I've got the gay music, albeit from a few generations ago. Give me Streisand and Bette (and some early Madge) any day. Hell, I even do Cher. I think I like it because, well sure, it's campy as all hell at times, but the women were also great singers and entertainers.

I always feel a little lost when I got out with friends and listen to what newfangled tunes those crazy kids are listening to these days. I count it a good night when I recognize five of the 50 songs played. I don't watch MTV (I hear they don't even play music on there any more...), and I don't listen to the newest-of-the-new radio stations.

There are days when I wish I could go out and dance to disco and just fun songs instead of being exposed to what every establishment believes is the next big thing in music. It happened in the grocery store today. There I was, waiting in line to check out, and Donna Summer's 'On the Radio' came on. I tried my best to dance invisibly, because damn, that's one catchy-ass song!!!

With all of this in mind, I'm a little terrified in my new heavy-rotation song...Jesse McCartney's 'Leavin'

Wtf is wrong with me!? Why do I like this song so much?

I came across the album after reading a somewhat positive review online, where it was heralded as a great summer pop album. After listening to some of the songs, it sort of scares me that people think this is 'pop' music...I guess it's 'popular' music, but it sure as hell has nothing in common with the pop of the past. It's more like 'white boy sings to hip-hop backing tracks'. Oh wait, isn't that Justin Timberlake?...

Anyway, to my absolute horror, I'm actually really liking that song...and others on the album...but why!? I usually hate this crap! Please, tell me I haven't gone soft and finally bent to the crowd's choice in music...

Jesse isn't as cute as he used to be when he had the long hair going a few years ago, and his voice isn't really a voice, merely a computer-generated replication of what I imagine it sounds like at times. But here, nonetheless, is Leavin'...



Edit: After actually watching part of the video...yeah...he's pretty fucking hot...But see! That shows that I was willing to pass judgment before I even realized how very doable he still is!

4 comments:

K said...

Awww, he is adorable.

And I was never really a fan before, but this song isnt 1/2 bad...

Hish said...

He looks great in videos, but for some reason he looks kinda weird in red carpet/other photos... :/

And hey, don't worry about your taste in music.. it's an individual, personal thing. Even if someone says you have bad taste in music, it really means that you have different tastes, that's all.

manxxman said...

Wait until you admit that along with a Cher or Bette tune you also enjoy a Handel tune......

JBGBC said...

Wow, when did he turn so damn sexy! And this is the first time I heard the song and it aint bad either.