Thursday, August 14, 2008

Warm inside and out...

I had one of those near-perfect moments this afternoon.

After another day at work, and another mid-afternoon of boredom and what could be called introspective thinking (but was really just moping and listlessness), I chanced to go online and check my messages. Strangely enough, there were a few people online, and I happily said hello to a good friend of mine.

Within two minutes, we were on the phone together. It was late afternoon, and nobody was home; for the first time in what I would swear to be weeks, the sun blazed through the large front window, warming the couch already covered in pillows.

I lay out on it, sunshine nearly burning my eyes, and instantly felt comfortable. My body just sank into place, my back propped just enough to let me speak clearly. And we talked.

For 48 minutes and one second, I lounged comfortably and had a great conversation with him. We haven't spoken in what felt like months, but was really weeks...only an eventful few weeks. We never run out of things to say, we always can talk endlessly and not get bored.

Our topics of conversation ranged from work to our respective love lives to travel. I didn't even realize how good it felt to lay there, with nobody else around, and have a meaningful conversation with someone; by the time he was ready to say goodbye I had sunk into an impossibly comfortable position that I did not want to move from.

The goodbye's are always brief, so we said them and he disconnected. I waited on the line to hear the click, and the fuzz of static afterwards. And I smiled.

I'm not really sure what it was...the conversation, the couch or the sunshine. Probably the combination of all three, at that exact moment in the universe, in that exact harmony. But I sat there, a smile on my face, and just felt blissfully happy. Content.

And so I carried out the next few hours of the day in the similar manner, still with a smile tugging at the corner of my mouth. Even now, I want to go back to that couch and feel it all over again, but alas the sun has slid further to the west, the the couch grew cold, and the phone line is silent.

But it doesn't take away the pure joy that one of those near-perfect moments brings you.

10 comments:

JUSTIN said...

Cool post...I love little moments like that.

publius100 said...

It's the sense of connection that fulfills/

publius100 said...

It's the sense of connection that fulfills/

Anonymous said...

Great song: "Moments Like This" Alison Krauss sings it. I have it by Peggy Lee too:

"Moments like this thrill me through and through

Careless moments like this close to you

Nonchalantly we'd dine and we'd dance

Yet my heart seems to melt in your grace

Sweet moments like this with the soft lights aglow

Make me long for your kiss though I know

I'd be just one of all your affairs

But at moments like this, who cares"


ChristopherinMiami

JBGBC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JBGBC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JBGBC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JBGBC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Kostenlose Partnersuche und Partnerbörse ab 50 fuer Generation 50plus. Partner suche fuer Menschen ab 50, Senioren, Kontaktanzeigen, Flirt, Dating.

[url=http://www.time4love.ch] [img]http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/11/l_f899b7ccb2104119886afa3e78aa8ef2.jpg[/img]

friendscout24
single
single dating
online dating

[/url]

Anonymous said...

hi every person,

I identified frozenunderwear.blogspot.com after previous months and I'm very excited much to commence participating. I are basically lurking for the last month but figured I would be joining and sign up.

I am from Spain so please forgave my speaking english[url=http://clwhatweknow.info/bookmarks].[/url][url=http://latesttrendsgr.info/].[/url][url=http://latesttrendsng.info/forum].[/url]