Thursday, January 8, 2009

Imagined Sloppy Seconds...

I feel like I just got hit by a bus.

That, and like I'm about 14 years old.

When James and I first started going out, he put his feelers into the community to try and find out more about me. I can't blame him, since that's what everybody does...the more you know about someone's past, the better.

But he never found anything out about me. As he told me one night, nobody seemed to know who I was. I laughed, since it's no surprise; I would have been shocked if anyone actually knew of me.

The one thing that I was somewhat ignorant of during our relationship was just how many people knew James, and by knowing him began knowing me. Not on any intimate basis, but more as the guy who he was dating. Nothing personal, just the vague idea of who I was. It never really occurred to me that he'd be telling people about me, acquaintances of his, friends from the clubs, whatever.

Furthermore, it never occurred to me that anyone would either remember who I was or care. Clearly I was mistaken.

I've been messaging back and forth with a guy online. He had an interesting profile, seemed cute but really level headed. There were a few things on there that won my respect, things that the average 20something wouldn't really be a part of.

So I sent him a message asking about just those things. I figured since it seemed rare to find someone with such qualities, he would find it rare that someone even commented on them. And so we exchanged a few messages back and forth, talking about pretty wholesome topics.

He seemed friendly. He seemed genuine. He seemed totally removed from drama and gay bullshit. We even shared the same name.

So when we exchanged IM addresses, I looked forward to talking with him in real time. This morning, Steve came online and almost instantly said hello.

But things quickly took an odd turn. He bombarded me with questions, where I went to university, what I studied, how old I was. Typical topics of conversation of course, but he asked with such hurry, such importance. And then it came.

"So, do you know a guy named James?" he asked.

I had no reason to lie, and admitted that I did.

"Oh, James told me about his friend Steve, same school and major as you," was his reply. "So I guess that's you."

Briefly I wondered how a guy from out of town, who lives an hour and a half away from Toronto, knew all about me. But it seemed like James had at some point during the summer told him all about me. And he remembered, including the details of my program and where my hometown is.

I wasn't too weirded out, since it's pretty innocent stuff. So we know the same people, who cares? Friends of friends makes things more casual anyway, you have a commonality. And I hadn't entered into our talking with any agenda or specific desire to date; I just made the mistake of being genuinely curious about someone.

Then things got weird.

"Well James is a good friend, I can't take his 2nds :P Anyway the reason I was on your profile is my friend really liked it.. He told me to check it out, you added him to favorites," said Steve. "He wants you to message him."

My jaw dropped. How fucking rude . And what an ego, nowhere had I even come onto the guy!

Steve then proceeded to extol James' virtues to me. "He's so cute and sweet, you should date him."

I laughed a little to myself. "Uh, we already did."

"Well, do it again," was his answer.

I explained that, had things worked out, we'd still be together. After all, you usually don't stop seeing someone you're happily coupled with. "If it had worked out, I'd still be with him," I said.

"It takes time, patience, understanding...you can work it out," Steve said.

"lol whatever I don't care," he continued, which seemed ridiculous since he'd just spent a few minutes telling me why I should date my ex. "I'm not going to tell him about our rendezvous though."

That made me laugh out loud. "Oh, well I'll definitely be asking him who Steve from [blank] is," I responded.

I tried to swing conversation back to his other point, this third guy who is apparently interested in me, and to try and find out just why Steve was receptive to conversation if he then was going to tell me he would never date me. It all got more confusing, since he couldn't remember this third guy's username.

"But you should message him, he wants you to," Steve said. "Better not tell him that I told you to though."

"Uhh...right," I said.

Steve then said he had work to do, bid me good luck and left the conversation.

I sat there in stunned silence, feeling like I was the victim of a drive by shooting.

What kind of a jerk would immediately call me 'seconds' and pretty much tell me to move along, then sing the praises of my ex, plus encourage me to message some third guy who is interested in me?

All of this came from simple, seemingly-genuine, friendly messages. I just wanted to get to know what seemed to be a nice guy. I just wanted a friendly conversation. And I never expected such a bizarre slap in the face. How could someone waste the time and energy to write me lengthy messages, then when we finally talk shut me down so quickly and rudely? And where did he get the idea that I was expressing a huge interest in him, when we'd never even been flirty?

I don't know exactly why the experience bothered me so much, outside of the general rudeness. After all, it's a tough gay world out there, full of judgment and intricate webs of friends and lovers. And me getting mildly upset about something so small seems unnecessary...and makes me feel like I'm a teenager. In many ways I am, since I haven't gone through much of that type of thing. It's all new, it's all fresh.

And so I sat there and just shook my head. What an odd experience, and what a rude guy. But I guess it shows me that I need to build up a thicker skin, to expect such reactions when I put myself out in the world.

The final though is a little more scary. A boy from another city knows who I am. Was able to recognize me from my university, my major, my age. Judged me from a distance, didn't leave room for a friendship or a casual acquaintance. He has no idea who I am , what I stand for or what I believe in. But he knows who I am, and he lives 50 miles away.

Just how many other people do, right in my back yard? And are they as dismissive as he is?

I have no idea, but it looks like for better or for worse, people just may recognize who I am...rather, who I dated...

10 comments:

The Vice Buddha said...

U know... urs is one blog I wait to pop up on the top of my follow list!

Its so easy to read ur posts... I feel so damn comfortable.

U r good mate! U r real good.

Nate said...

In your last post, you wondered what it'd be like to attend a university in a smaller city. Now you know. Everyone knows everyone, and thus every encounter you have with other gay men goes almost exactly like the one you described. People know who you are long before you know who they are, and everyone knows who're friends with, who you've dated, who you've slept with.

Maybe it's a "grass is greener" thing, but I really don't think those in smaller cities have it any better.

Nate said...

In your last post, you wondered what it'd be like to attend a university in a smaller city. Now you know. Everyone knows everyone, and thus every encounter you have with other gay men goes almost exactly like the one you described. People know who you are long before you know who they are, and everyone knows who're friends with, who you've dated, who you've slept with.

Maybe it's a "grass is greener" thing, but I really don't think those in smaller cities have it any better.

Anonymous said...

guess you found out in a hurry that this guy is all about creating drama.

Jake said...

In response to Nate, it's not exactly how you think. Yes, in a smaller school all the gay guys know eachother, but we don't know everything about eachother like you would think. There are plenty of guys at my school that I have yet to even talked to yet and I haven't personally heard anything about them.

This sort of scenario sort of happened to me. I saw this guy during my senior year of high school. We never officially dated because I was going off to school and he was going to be a junior in high school. And then just this break, I started talking to this guy, and right in the first couple of minutes, he asked me if I was the "Jake" that this guy had dated. It went downhill from there.

I'm with you on this - I hate gay drama.

Nate said...

I attended a large university (40,000) in a small city (250,000), and it was much the way I described. Granted, I exaggerated a bit (obviously not every single gay person knows every other gay person) but I was frequently frustrated by how small the gay world was. It didn't seem to make anyone closer or friendlier; instead, it seemed to breed a heck of a lot of drama.

As I said, it could be a "grass is greener thing". I've never lived in a very large city, so I don't know for certain. But I know people here often complain about how small the "gay community" is because of the things I've mentioned.

Jay said...

"He bombarded me with questions, where I went to university, what I studied, how old I was. Typical topics of conversation of course"

Would've been great if these could've been skipped, if you can know someone / someone can know you without going through all the formality crap. Easier said though.

Sean said...

Nate,

Did you go to UF by any chance? It's a big school of abotu 40,000 in a small town of about a couple hundred thousand.

That's where I am right now, and I HATE IT!

Nate said...

Nope, I went to the University of Wisconsin. I actually really liked my school (and the city), but the gay "community" (if that's what you want to call it) sucks.

Sorry you're not enjoying your time at UF.

Thirty3 Naked Laydies said...

Wow. What a story. And not remotely surprising. This world is waaay too small. I've been in random airports (take Addis Ababa or even Lima)... and watch as I run into my father's college roomie, or even, a neighbor from years ago. FREAKY! As for small schools, mine had a grand total of 400 (per class). And grad school? 85 per class.

That guy you chatted with is 100% drama and you both know it. I can so seem him pushing the gossip-rumor mill too. And you so aren't "2nds". Clearly, he seems to be the one "trailing". Laugh and live!