Sunday, November 4, 2007

Between the crosses...

Why is it so hard to find a poppy in Toronto?



I've looked on every street corner I pass by, and never see veterans or kids selling them. In stores, there are no collection boxes and poppies to pick up. Even my roommates don't have one stashed away in their dressers.

But why? Are we as a nation so out of touch with remembering the dead of our wars that we simply don't care? Or is it that the city is filled with anti-war hippies who don't really support such compassion for 'hapless murders for American imperialism'?

I'm a firmly traditional guy, but I also support Remembrance Day because of my own beliefs. The enormity of both World Wars, no matter who started what and why, basically encapsulates the meaning of the past century. I want people to remember the sacrifices made, the innocent lives lost, and the beliefs of the soldiers and support staff that drove them to do the things they did.

I also currently support the Afghan mission, in both of it's modes. Many have forgotten the reasons for entering Afghanistan in the first place, and think that Canadians are simply toeing the American line, cleaning up the mess they left behind. But I was a supporter of the war way back when it was a war, just as I feel we are responsible for helping create a stable nation after fracturing what little stability they had after 9/11.

Yet here in Toronto, I can't find a poppy. And it's really starting to bother me. I want one on my jacket, to let people know I haven't forgotten so many things that have slipped the North American consciousness. But it's proving rather difficult to find one in this city.

So don't forget, at the very least, to grab a poppy on November 11, no matter if you support any current military operation or not. Show the world you don't easily forget the events of the 20th Century.

4 comments:

Matt in Argyle said...

I also haven't seen many poppy people out yet, although as soon as I found one I snatched one up so I would have it. Maybe people have just forgotten what the poppy is supposed to stand for.

To me at least it seems that today (or perhaps always) people are content to follow the crowd so to speak. 'So and so says that we should get troops out of Afghanistan, so we should do it, how dare we keep them in there'. It is one sided arguments without pause, reflection, and even logical acknowledgment towards counter points of view. Sadly this is rampant on both sides of the spectrum. I have my own views, but that does not mean I'm not willing to contemplate others arguments, perhaps they have thought of something that I haven't or vise versa. That is what is lacking, an actual discussion.

Mike said...

Your post made me think- I haven't seen any of the Veterans with those in years outside of supermarkets or other places. I remember when I was younger on Veterans Day, Labor Day, and Memorial Days you could always find Veterans out with those.

I always get one and give a donation when I do see them, but it has been 4-5 years I think at least since I saw them.

Gossip Boy said...

I see them everywhere in Montreal! It seems sort of strange that Toronto wouldn't have many...

Pete said...

I always thought Remembrance Day was British... interesting to see you guys celebrating it too.

As far as Afghanistan is concerned, we are in the same position as you guys, but we'll probably reduce troop levels and get some help from France and, yes Georgia. Isn't that shameful? Trying to please everyone, unable to withstand Nato pressure and then reducing troop levels when they're understaffed already.

I'm in favour of staying, but this is useless.