Saturday, November 3, 2007

Halloween Night...

My ass saw some action on Wednesday night.

But there was really no follow through from the occasional slap and grab. And I think (hope) most of the few slaps I did get were from the guy who was with our group.

People started arriving at around 7, some in costume and some not. Most were pretty bland...and I stood out like a sore thumb in my full get-up. But head and hat held high, we drank and socialized and had a good time.

Later in the evening one of my friends from home and his girlfriend showed up. I would probably call Nick my closest male friend, and I'd say we click pretty well. There's a comfort in our company. He also didn't know, as of that evening.

Something inside me was driving me mad. I was admittedly quite drunk by the time I took him on the tour of the apartment, winding up in my room. I closed the door behind us.

"Can we talk for a sec?"

"Uh, sure. Wow, I like what you've done with your room. It looks really good."

"Uh...thanks...I'm gay."

Pause. Shit, did I just say that. God, I'm drunk, why did I have to say this now?

"Oh. Ok. Hey, that's cool."

"What!?"

"Yeah, no big deal. I like the paint colour."

I think that's more or less what happened. Seconds later his girlfriend came in to reclaim him, and we went back out into the party. Nothing more was said about it.

Afterwards, I felt terrible about it. Fuck, someone I really do care about, and I just drop it in a two second conversation. Not smooth. There was no explanation, no story. Nothing except the words. And I don't even know why I needed to tell him so badly.

I do remember babbling on about having brunch Sunday morning with him and his girlfriend. He ended up calling me yesterday and we talked for half an hour. Through the entire time, I wanted to say, "Let me explain about..." but I couldn't say it over the phone. I don't know why. He seemed completely normal about it. I guess he was giving me an option to talk about it. I texted him after our conversation that I'd hope we could talk in person about "what I said" the other night.

They ended up having to go home rather early, because she had class at 9 that she couldn't miss. We said our goodbyes, all gave each other hugs, and they were gone.

A little while after, we all packed up and headed out for Church St. The street itself was shut down, and hundreds of people were milling about. Some had stunning costumes...some simply looked stunning in their underwear.

One of the guests at our soiree was a bi boy who obviously caught on to my interesting costume choice. He's a big flirt (according to one of the girls) and made a couple lewd statements, which I of course didn't mind at all. He proved to be even more interesting, however, on our walk down Church St.

As we were walking, he would slap my ass and ask passers-by if anyone was interested in a sailor on leave. A few people too the occasional swipe, which at that point I certainly didn't mind. I don't think anybody really stopped to talk, and if they did, I certainly wasn't in the state to engage in flirty banter. We got some interesting photos of our walk...it looks like I'm lost in New York on Feet Week at one point.

A few hours of our strolling around went by, and it was quite fun to be out on such a festive night. Thankfully it wasn't freezing cold, and my white sailor ass didn't freeze.

Really, the night was a little different that anticipated. Fun, yes. Memorable, yes. I don't really know what I was expecting out of it, and honestly by the time we were in the gay-zone I didn't really have more than enough mental energy to put one foot in front of the other. I guess part of my little fantasy was to experience some culture...but there was really no reason to imagine that. Ah well, it was Halloween after all, not really a 'normal' night.

We made it home finally, plus a few people sleeping on couches. Of course, someone demanded the requisite episode of Sex and the City while we made quiche and cookies for our pre-dawn snack. We ate and laughed, and I crawled into bed, only after slipping out of my uniform and laughing myself to sleep to the thought of me in a sailor's uniform.

No comments: