Thursday, November 22, 2007

First of the season...

People are mad, truly.

My alarm just went off, 9:03 a.m. The tune that greeted me is familiar..."White Christmas", by good old Bing Crosby.

Dear God...it's started.

Like a kid on Christmas, I jumped up and tore open my shades, looking out at...

SNOW!

Whee...it snowed!

But why people are so excited, and need to celebrate by turning the radio station into a constant stream of Christmas tunes in November, is beyond me.

If I survive my trip to school today, I'll post some pictures.

---

OK, so it's 3:30 p.m. and I made it both to and from school, and took a long walk around the city looking for winter pictures. Here's what I got, from around city hall.









---

I was surprised at how exciting and festive it was to walk through the snow. I guess it's one of the last vestiges that grown-ups have to enjoy little slices of innocence. Really, what is more pure than a snowfall, especially the first of the season?

For me, I was surprised at how uplifting it was. For a few minutes, I just looked at the world around me with a different attitude. Eyes actually open, drinking in the scenery. And of course, all the nostalgic thoughts that come along with Christmas, wintertime and the soft silence of falling snow.

9 comments:

Mike said...

KOST 103.5 in Los Angeles has been playing Christmas carols for the past week.

Another station has been playing Christmas carols since Halloween. No joke. They play them every night for an hour at 6p.m.

blueyedboy said...

Bah humbug! That's all I have to say on the matter!

(Although I do secretly love Mariah Carey's version of All I Want For Christmas... :s)

Matt in Argyle said...

SNOW!!!! YAY!!
Although we also had some snow awhile ago here, but it was awesome, I love snow.

gay, christian and scared shitless said...

DAMN it, i came for the snow and missed it by 2 days!!!! grrrrrr

W said...

When are you guys calling in the army? Tomorrow or the day after? ;)

We had some nasty freezing rain.

Gossip Boy said...

That doesn't look half-bad! My dad drove me from Montreal -> Ottawa -> Montreal today, and it was awful! Darn snow is so early this year :(!

S said...

But, did you have to drive in the weather? Over 100 accidents. It was scary out there!

Mike said...

Last week, I walked by Sears on my way to meet a friend at the Dundas and Elizabeth Starbucks. As I was walking, they were playing Jingle Bell Rock. I may or may not have sang along, and then acted out the whole scene from Mean Girls afterwards.

J.R. said...

Man, I remember is snowed in HOUSTON, TEXAS on Christmas Eve two years ago (maybe it's three now??) We never got snow, and it was so magical for it to happen on Christmas Eve. It even stuck on the ground for most the day, but melted by Christmas afternoon, and we were in shorts. Ha.

I've never lived anyplace where you could expect snow -- even where I was at in Oklahoma and Idaho didn't seem to have much snow. Maybe my memory is just foggy.

Enjoy the powder, Steve! And enjoy those rockin' Christmas tunes! HA. I know what you mean about them getting played too often, too early... but gosh, I do love my Christmas music.

Nothing Golden Stays