Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy, uh...Thursday...

Well Happy Valentines Day.



I remember last year, somewhat fondly, somewhat bitterly. It was the first time I'd ever been with someone on Valentines day, and while we didn't go all out, it was still cute and fun to have heat-shaped chocolates, candles, wine and novelty sex dice. Big deal, right?

Then why is there that little twinge of regret that I don't get to do it again this year?

People are mind boggling. Everyone I talked to this week said it's just another day on the calendar, and if you can't be loving to your partner on the other days of the year what's the point in pulling out the stops for a Hallmark holiday?

I do agree in that sentiment, but I don't see the harm in having fun on Valentines Day too. Just make sure you bring flowers, chocolates, etc. on other days, guys, because everyone likes feeling special for no reason on the other days of the year.

But why is it, when the overwhelming majority feel there's no point to Valentines Day, that I had to stand in line for 20 minutes at Godiva yesterday while Lisa bought her boyfriend a box of chocolates? Why were all those people, who look haggared and weather-beaten, buying chocolate by the case with downcast, zombie eyes, simply fulfilling their duty as partner? Isn't everyone getting beyond that!?

People are obviously saying one thing, and doing something very different. Even Laura, my roommate, told me that she doesn't care. "Why should I, it's not special, it's not from the heart," she said, telling me that she's not doing anything to mark the day with her boyfriend.

Oh, I should mention her boyfriend doesn't live in the city, and is coming in tonight to spend the evening with her.

Oh, probably should also mention that there's a bag of Hershey goodness sitting on the floor near the foot of her bed.

Right. Another person who's 'not really doing anything'.

I can't say that I didn't get any Valentines messages, though. This morning my mother told me "Happy Valentines Day!" in an overly cheery manor. I just grunted.

Even though the vast view of couples is that Valentines Day is stupid, why is it still that the vast majority of singles feel that distinct singling-out on days like today? Sure, some may toe the line that being in a relationship shouldn't have it's own day, and there's noting wrong with

Last year I posted some ultra-campy lyrics from 'The Rose'. I still love the song, and yes, it's campy as all hell, but the lyrics are simple and sweet.

"...far beneath the winter snow,
lies the seed that with the sun's love,
in the spring,
becomes the rose."

And here I thought I would find that depressing today. I don't, really, at least not in the brightness of mid-afternoon. Matter of fact, I feel sorta optimistic. I'm definitely piled under a mound of winter snow, but maybe it's only a matter of time before the sun starts melting it away. Sort of a nice idea.

But come cold winter night, I might be singing a different tune.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve- it's often the case that when you think you might be going to find some memory or whatever depressing, it turns out it's not!
Like today when you are feeling optimistic. Great. Do something fun, even if its throwing snowballs.

blueyedboy said...

It's because you can't escape from it... Everywhere you look there's something to do with Valentines Day - it's on the TV, it's on the radio, it's in the street - you just can't get away from it, this one day of the year that single people can't really get involved in. We're rational people, we know it's a card company holiday, but there's still that tiny bit of you that feels excluded due to your being single.

On a seperate note - nice picture at the start of the post... ;)

Jake said...

I love the video that the photo is from! That redhead is hot.....

Queen of Arts said...

You said:

"People are mind boggling. Everyone I talked to this week said it's just another day on the calendar, and if you can't be loving to your partner on the other days of the year what's the point in pulling out the stops for a Hallmark holiday?"

Alter a few words and ask the same question regarding the following holidays:

Mother's Day, Father's Day, Grandparents' Day, Veterans' Day, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving Day . . . the list does go on.

Yes, it is a commercialized holiday. BUT . . . so are the others.

Also, it is not without its validity. Valentine's Day is an old holiday -- it even pops up in the literature of Geoffrey Chaucer (ca. 1380's). That does not, of course, mean the Medieval English were buying cards and chocolates on the day. But even in that period, the holiday was associated with early spring and the pairing of couples.

Anonymous said...

Surely one of the reasons you cant avoid V day is your surroundings, then yes, it's another day on the calendar but why not show your love when you have everything you need in the shops?
But from a single's view point, it's better to be ignored or just find a way to have fun, it's shitty to see others holding hands in endless lines , at least you don't have to waste your time buying anything, ain't that great.

and the guys in the pic are so yummy, what's the name of that video?