Friday, February 25, 2011

Meet market...

I'm already a little more than frustrated with being thrust back onto the singles market.

Even though I'm only 24, only very nearly dead in they eyes of the most cutting queers, I feel like I've really outgrown the whole online thing. First it felt like I was practically alone out here. Now I just feel alone.

The internet is a beautiful thing for gays and lesbians. It allows us to freely meet and mingle in a community that does not threaten us. At least, it doesn't threaten us with reproach from the straights, more threatens us with reproach from one another.

I just really feel at a loss, I'm sorry if this post is a bit rambling. I'm not usually overly-emotional about things, but I just feel really crappy tonight.

After unsuccessfully trying to meet some guys in the area, just for the sake of making some new friends, I canvassed Google and found a few more sites that I haven't hit up yet. I did the typical sign-up thing, wrote my little blurb and finally got to work checking out the local population.

And again and again, the population lets me down.

I don't feel like my standards are too high. I just feel like I have standards.

The internet has degenerated into a sex shopping mall. Literally every profile I read was geared towards finding the next fuck. Even the ones with a few interesting words to say ended their profiles with the typical, "But I'm on here to have fun too." Ugh.

Is it so incredibly hard to fathom that we might use the internet to actually make some friends with gays in our neighborhoods? I understand that it allows us the freedom to seek out sex without the scary consequences of bigotry, but why does it have to be used exclusively for the physical purpose?

I guess when I was a few years younger, I didn't notice it as much. I was content with meeting people on the physical level and not really getting stimulated on the mental one. But at this moment in my life I would really treasure meeting some guys 'like me'. I know my tastes are quite outside the norm (not that they're weird, just unpopular) but it feels like I am literally a one-of-a-kind person. Why is there nobody out there that actually wants to have meaningful conversations? Or that isn't a totally self-absorbed asshole? (Of course, writing this makes me a totally self absorbed asshole, but this is a blog, not a conversation.)

I just feel very frustrated and very down about the state of gay affairs. Are we all just meant to fuck one another and then bitch about it to our girlfriends? Is there nobody out there that just wants to make a more meaningful connection with the people around them? Am I destined to be sitting here on a Friday night, surrounded with my books, music and blog to keep me company?

Really, I just want to feel like I have a chance at standing out 'out there'. Because after reviewing the local postings, I just don't see much of anything in common with my fellow homos. I would say I feel sorry for them, but then again, I'm the one in the minority here, and they probably feel sorry for me.

I guess I just haven't yet found the right market to meet the type of person that I'd like to.

4 comments:

Aek said...

Hey! I'm 24yo too! I can understand where you're coming from though. Online dating or whatnot has proven unproductive for me. The few guys I've found online who seem like they're worth the time investment are often unavailable for any one of several reasons.

If only there were another way to meet people with similar interests/values . . .

Anonymous said...

Great post as usual. You may have already tried it but but did you check out outeverywhere? I signed up but actually met someone before fully trying it out. Also might be worth checking out where the local uni gay sox meet and hanging out there on the night they meet. Just a idea.

I found once you meet a couple of decent gay guys you meet z lot more - it's just you need to find the door to get in. Hope you find it soon.

blueyedboy said...

Duuuuuuuude, your back online again! :) Great to see you posting once more - just happened to come back to your blog while I was clearing the dead wood from my Bookmarks list.

I can completely sympathise with the online dating thing. Particularly frustrating is when your strike up a conversation with someone, and things seem to be going well, then a few messages in everything stops, and you never here from them again. I'm just like, WTF? What did I say?! *Sigh*. I've given up for now. Too busy for a boyfriend atm anyway...

E said...

This is a massive concern for me when I go to uni in a few months. I'm just hoping there are some gay guys with the "unpopular" approach as I am not one for the anonymous fuck.