Monday, February 7, 2011

So many resolutions...

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions.

In fact, I don't ever recall really making one, ever, both because everyone I see making them usually breaks them within a month or two, and because I generally believe if I want to make a change in my life, I need to do it at any point in the year, not just on January 1st.

But there are so many things that I want to do lately and just can't seem to muster up the drive or concentration for. Most aren't even difficult, but I've been so out of it lately that I have yet to really follow through with all but one.

The one thing I've been doing - writing a short, one page summary of my day - has been sort of interesting. I'd like to look back in 10 years and see what my life was like. I was inspired to do this from reading a biography on Winston Churchill, which used excerpt from many common British folks' diaries. They gave great insight into the times and how they felt about the issues of the day. Sadly, my diary is more of a recap of my terribly boring life, with no real social or political commentary. I guess that's what Frozen Underwear is for, though I doubt I'll wind up in any books.

Other things on my list, but so far ignored:

- Write to a friend every day. I want to send a letter/note/whatever to somebody every day, both as a way to get back in touch with my friends and to keep up to date on how everybody is doing. Not that challenging, but I still haven't done it yet.

- Volunteer. I want to volunteer for a youth services group in the LGBTQ sector. It wouldn't be a huge commitment of time, and it's something I've wanted to do for a long while. I really want to actually do something for others, even if it's just in a small way. Don't know how difficult it is to get involved with, and it's definitely a pain now that I'm not in Toronto, but I want this to happen this year.

- Write fiction. There have been many times that had the vague workings of a novel or short stories, but my insecurities about writing always take over and I wind up shelving everything because I worry it's not good enough, not original, been done to death and would be a giant cliche. I want to write something that's actually good, and it's intimidating.

- Fitness. I know I've beaten this one to death, but come spring/summer I would like to actually get a little more fit. I lost a ton of weight from stress and anxiety last year, then gained it all back (and then some) with the depression I've been in for the last 6 months. Even just for my general health, I'd like to loose some weight and work on the cardio thing.

- Learn to ride a horse. I've had this on my list for years, and now that I'm back in horse country there's no reason that I can't get some experience and learn to ride.

There are others, but that gives you an idea of the types of things I want out of the next year.

Now it's just finding the time to do it all...

2 comments:

Aek said...

Those are quite some ambitious resolutions there! Best of luck on all of them. For some of them, it's as "simple" as to just do it. Of course, it's always easier said than done . . .

AlexCerati said...

Good luck! I've found that if you write your purposes down, you'll be less likely to ignore them.
I've posted my own list, but I think work has made me forfeit them for a while....