Monday, January 7, 2008

Back to the grind...

So it's back to work/school/whatever, and it certainly feels like it.

I don't know why, but my attitude this morning shifted right back to it's usual, "Gah, problems!" state. I was standing under the shower, blasting my neck with hot water and trying to understand why New Years is such a big deal. After all, here we all are back to our usual routines, with all of the festivities and fun packed away. So what about all those resolutions, and the fun of having the freedom and kind spirit of the holiday season instead of the doldrums of everyday life?

For whatever reason, I re-tapped that "Fuck 2007!" sentiment and just said fuck the whole thing. I stepped out of the shower feeling refreshed, positive about the new year and really committed to trying this new attitude out. After all, things aren't looking so bad, I really should stress less, and now that I've pretty clearly identified parts of my life I want to work on, there's really no point in stressing about big stuff in the shower at 8 am on Monday morning. Right?

We'll see how long that lasts...

Anyway for some reason, and I think it's the fact that I actually did things that required movement and thinking (first time in weeks, you know...) I find myself exhausted. Literally I can't keep my eyes open tonight! Out of boredom and in order to pass the time before it's socially acceptable to go to bed, I put away all my laundry, unpacked everything, re-organized my sock drawer, counted my underwear out of sheer curiosity, and emptied my trash bin.

My brain is so dead at the moment that I can't even write one of the two or three interesting posts I've been brewing up.

This semester may prove a little challenging, as I have a lot of class condensed into only 3 days. That means no lunches, and lots of hours spent hopping from room to room. Even today, all I managed food wise was a yogurt with granola at around noon, and a slice of toast and peanut butter for breakfast. Gah! How am I supposed to function on that every day? I guess it'll mean lots of early nights after these marathon days...whee, I'm so exciting!

The sad thing is, it's not any more hours than someone who's working a 9-5 job anyway. Ugh, what will I do when I get one of those!?

So here's to you, the working Joe, who actually puts in their time every day at work and isn't falling asleep at 7:30 p.m. on a Monday night.

5 comments:

blueyedboy said...

Lack of food? Welcome to my world! If I'm really busy at work then I'll sometimes go the entire working day without eating anything... Although if I'm being honest, that's the exception and not the rule - I do try and at least grab a sandwich at lunchtime... And a brownie on those days when I really need a sugar fix!

Timmy said...

I'd have to say you're pretty lucky, I hold an 8 to 5 and then a 5:30 to 10:30. Plus I like to hang out with friends.

gay, christian and scared shitless said...

Subway, thats all im gna say on the matter ;-)

BoarderGuy said...

Just keep plugging away is my advice! School is a matter of endurance. It's hard to sit in class and keep your attention span going, then go home and study what you were just paying attention to. But before you realize you'll be graduate...just keep that in the back of your mind!

JUSTIN said...

I actually think a M-F 9-5 gig is easier than full time school. Yes, the hours are greater, but having a regular schedule is less stressful (and less exhausting) than going to class/studying, or at least it was for me.