Sunday, January 27, 2008

Schoolchildren of all ages...

Presuming I ever do start accessing gay culture, will I be able to do it easily because of my age?

I know that sounds stupid, but think of it this way. An 18-year-old comes out and starts to do gay things (whatever those are). People instinctively are protective and understanding of his youth and the fact he needs to be taught about the ins-and-outs of the gay life. After all, he's just a baby!

They are more sensitive to him and his needs and fears, because, after all, he's new to this! So lets get him some hot jeans, hair styled, teach him the warning signs of lecherous users, and send him out into the big gay world.

But are guys in their 20's afforded the same thing? Do people think, after all, they are a bit older...they probably don't need as much help.

In a recent issue of FAB Magazine, an article on the apparently dying night life in Toronto caught my attention with the line, "Every year, a healthy surge of twinks is delivered into the grasp of this city's club owners, and far too many of these owners are completely oblivious to decor and originality." I was surprised at the blatant use of the 'newly gay' demographic being described as twinks...which in common understanding means 18-20 year old bois. There was no mention of the influx of the 25 year old gay men who are looking for an accepting place for them to spread their wings, or the middle-aged gay men who have just recently ditched their wives and have decided to live the life they want to.

Perhaps it's just insinuated in gay culture that men past the age of 20 will be participating in some form of gay activities, even if they are closeted, married or otherwise not living it up in the gay villages of the world. After all, going all those years without so much as kissing a man at a gay bar or similar would be fairly unlikely...right?

I was out for dinner in the gay village a few nights ago and had the good fortune of being sat at a table next to two very cute guys who were out on a date. Both were in their early 20's, fashionable without being ridiculous, and just radiated that soft energy that announced, "I'm gay and know how to do it well."

It occured to me during the meal that these two weren't fresh off the S.S. Closet. At some point they took the steps to becoming the guys they were that night, the gay education that prepared them to obviously meet and pursue some gay activities. An amusing but insane idea popped through my head; how would they respond if I asked them about it, about how it went and how they were treated?

Obviously I didn't, but I'm beginning to wonder. In almost every other aspect of life, sports teams and clubs and anything else, people tend to stick to the groups they know the best. For a really young gay guy, that means having "a healthy surge of twinks" to go out and party with, guys going through the same life adjustments as they are. People in the same boat, roughly the same demographic, identified as being those in need of the most attention and guidance to get them started right. But thinking of guys a little bit older, or even 20 years older, who are normally surrounded by men who have been out and part of the scene for years on end, it must be difficult to socialize and be accepted and appreciated as a newly out gay 20,30 or 40-something, who by all accounts would be the odd duck in the room.

As we all know from just reading blogs, there are gay men out there of every age who are figuring their sexualities out and deciding to live as openly gay men. Somehow or other, they make it happen, point being that they get out there, meet people and make friends, and so on. So it must not be completely impossible as one gets older to be welcomed by the community.

However, I would predict that there are 'pockets of resistance' at certain ages that make it difficult. For example, I would think 22-23 would be an awkward age, because people must just assume if you're coming out, it will be way before that age. Same would go for someone in their mid-30's and mid-40's; guys would possibly be more inclined to come out after large life events such as divorce, or the dreaded mid-life crisis...things that don't necessarily happen at age 36 or 47.

Again, this may just sound like me making excuses for myself, but I do feel like I'm in a bit of an awkward age for coming out and learning the gay ropes. I'm not a first-year student anymore, I'm actually speeding towards the end of my degree. I'm not 18 anymore, I'm 21 (and apparently going on 35, according to some people...). I'm also not old enough to be a guy coming out of a long-term straight relationship and trying to find my gay self. I'm just a 21-year-old kinda-out gay guy who really needs a team leader and a band of merry under-25's to hang around with.

Of course, it could be that gays of all ages remember how they took their first steps, at all different ages of life. Be they 18, or 25, or even 38, gay guys don't forget how hard it was to come out and start that 'new' gay life. And that means everyone needs a helping hand when knocking on the door of the gay party, regardless of age. Because, after all, you don't learn these skills anywhere else.

10 comments:

S said...

Have you already become that cynical? LOL.

Sadly, the media also perpetuates the cliche of the young twink who comes out at 18, develops in his 20s, becomes cynical in his 30s, and settles in his 40s (and beyond) because he's no longer 18.

Anonymous said...

I think coming out is in and of itself an awkward moment in one's life regardless of age. I came out during my 3rd year of college and it's almost been 5 years. In saying that I made a point to not focus my vision for what I thought 'being gay is' on what people told me. I watched the successful people and followed their lead (be it networking, career opportunities, or relationships). It all comes down to what works best for you. Good Luck with your gay education!!

blueyedboy said...

I know exactly what you're saying here, so I totally get how you feel. I have to say, one of the best things about starting blogging has been reading the stories of other people that are either the same age as me and just starting out in their 'gay lives', or even those of guys who are now older than me, who only started going out to bars and dating guys in like their mid-20s - it's so easy to feel lonely and as if you're the only one that's taken so long to take action regarding your sexuality, but the blogosphere happily provides evidence to the contrary.

Sooo-this-is-me said...

The older you get the more awkward it becomes. Come out when you are ready but 21 is not too old or awkward, you are still just a baby too! People are a lot more accepting now, you will be surprised with how little most people care about your sexuality. Did you not already tell your mother? I think you are well on your way so I don't see what is holding you back? I find it hard to find and make friends in the gay culture but I am a lot older than you. Good luck with what ever you do.

Steven

Anonymous said...

You know you really should have started up a conversation with those guys in the restaurant. What's the worst that could happen? They could say No we don't want to talk to you, but that's much less likely than Hey tell us about it.

AlexCerati said...

Well, sometimes coming out it's really hard. I couldn't come out to my best friend until I was nearly 22! And it was a bit of hell when I came out to my mum. I suppose it has to do with the fact that my city is known as one of the more conservative in Mexico.

Queen of Arts said...

Beware the cliches the media attempts to present of coming out of the closet. It is an extraordinarily unique process for each and every one of us. Go at your own pace! As you become more comfortable, you will discover that there are many role models even though you are not 18! Hey, I was 19 when I came out and there were no guiding hands for me. Four years later (and one failed long-term relationship), and I discovered plenty to learn and experience!

I am going to recommend a website for EVERYONE. Check out http://www.ericmarcus.com. Eric Marcus is an openly gay man who has studied the GLBT community in considerable depth for many years. He has written several books (one of which I am reading at this time) and provides useful resources for gay men and lesbians of all ages.

Uncle Gerry said...

You have to remember coming out is a journey not a destination, a continuous growth process that never gets easier just because you are older or younger. Thankfully we have the wonderful world of the Internet where we can share our collective experience and support each other no matter our age.

Anonymous said...

Once again, ya beat me to the post - you have a habit of doin' that. I've often thought about this - i've got a couple of years on you, and i'm still not out. Even though I'm coming off a ltr with a girl, it doesn't get any easier. I'll tell ya what - come out to DC and we'll head out together. Then, at least we'll each have someone to hang out with!

Anonymous said...

I advise to you to look for a site, with articles on a theme interesting you.