Thursday, January 17, 2008

Night with the family...

It became very clear to me last night how hated I would be if my Grandparents found out I am gay.

Yesterday I payed my Grandma and Grandpa a visit. They live about 40 minutes away from me, but it's pretty easily accessible to me. I haven't seen them since Christmas day, which is a little strange as we're a pretty close family and usually are in more contact than that.

It was a typical late afternoon visit that stretched into the evening. We at dinner at around 5 p.m. (how horrible...) and settled in to watch the news.

I don't really know the exact moment where I started to feel uncomfortable, but as the evening grew on I became very aware of how sad the situation is. Just sitting on the couch, looking back at the both of them, people with such high hopes and great excitement for my life...all of which would instantly be destroyed because of my orientation. It fills me with a great sadness.

In a way it feels like I'm already being hated, albeit unbeknownst to them. There never goes by a day when they don't make one or more comments about homos being bad, and it's usually in the general, horrible, homophobic sense. It just gets me down, the knowledge that they would turn on me in a second if they knew. The hatred, and betrayal. All over something that many would agree is senseless.

But there I was, sitting there talking about my semester and my hopes for summer jobs and my future plans...with the secret burden, that terror mixed with cutting insult, all the while them blissfully unaware.

It's a tragic situation. These are the only family that really matter to me, that care for me and will be there for me aside from my parents. By now you're probably saying, "If they can't accept you and would hate you, then you're better off without them." I understand the sentiment, and in 99% of instances I agree with you...but this is blood. It would kill me to have that relationship just severed, and it would ripple down to my parents as well, who would no doubt be cut off from life. Further to that, it would disrupt everything that I've ever known; Christmases and holidays and birthdays would almost cease to exist.

I've tried to stand up to their bigotry and intolerance. Sometimes when I'm particularly enraged I'll argue about things...like when they get on about AIDS being a gay disease that doesn't really matter. Forget the fact that homosexuals are the highest percentage of sufferers, what about the kids who are born with the disease? What about the African children who don't even have parents anymore? Sometimes it silences them.

No doubt this makes them sound like horrible people. They are not. But their ideas on certain topics are archaic and insane.

Even their perceptions of how things 'work' around homosexuality are wrong. Over the past few months my Grandfather cannot help himself but to ask what my weekend plans are. "Oh, you aren't going home again?" he'll say in that voice. "You're getting to be a city boy, watch out. Getting dazzled by all the lights," he tags on, in a half-joking manner. Then comes the good stuff.

"Just don't be down there in the gay village, walking around or anything. You'd better stay away from there," he says.

Grandma pipes in, "Yeah, don't want them turning you into one of those faggolas!"

Often times I find myself jealous of those who have at least one ally in their family. People who have a crusading mother, or a level-headed father, or the raging Grandmother that is a throwback hippie chick encouraging you to just be yourself. I have nothing like that...at best I have a mother slowly coming to grips with it, grudgingly, a father who still doesn't know, and two homophobic, gay-bashing Grandparents that would disown me after the words, "I am gay."

A slightly touching thing has come out of all of this. My mother has commented to me on a number of occasions that she finds it hard to stomach when they start gay bashing. "My chest just gets all tight, and I hope that they don't see the look in my eyes," she said. "I just can't stand hearing that stuff."

Nice to know she doesn't like it either. Or maybe she just doesn't like hearing it out loud, as often such internal comments can sound much worse when they are verbalized.

Before I was able to cope a little better with it. I maintain the attitude of not worrying, simply because they will 'never find out' and the boat will not be rocked. I'd detach that part of myself when around them, so their words and misguided attempts at humour don't hurt. But last night, a particularly normal visit by any other means, left me feeling this great sense of disappointment and burden.

I'll have to shore up the walls, because I've got years more to go, and with any luck that will include a boyfriend and a bit more gayness in my everyday life, no doubt making the facade even more difficult to maintain. There is simply no other alternative though.

All of this has led me to hope to finally settle down with a guy who has a big, loving, accepting family so I won't have to live a semi-isolated family life because of sexuality. People who are past this.

Maybe my family will one day all find out, and just accept it for what it is, no problems. Somehow I don't think this is the case, but I'll keep that small hope in my heart.

Until then, I've got to put up with the 'fear of the faggolas' that my Grandparents seem not to be able to shake.

12 comments:

Matt in Argyle said...

I feel your pain. I know that I have two sides to my family. One side will be totally fine with it, including my late 80's grandfather. However the other side would be rather pigheaded over it.
Its a shame really.

J said...

I share your pain. I have grown up very close to my extended family and love them all to death, but there are a handful (including grandparents) that are going to have a problem with it if/when they find out. Knowing that my family thinks of me in such a high regard just makes things worse. I often wonder if they knew I was gay, who would change there opinion. Your not alone.

www.inoroutinthecity.blogspot.com

Pete said...

This is so amazing to me, as the behaviour appears to be so obsessive. I still think it's fear of the unknown, something you might be able to beat.

jeff said...

I remember having the same sentiments regarding my grandparents/family ignorance based homophobia. Long time ago. You know what, they didn't sever the relationship (it would have been their decision).

Think of how many people you would ultimately influence by being out to them. Use any and all of your 'support' resources to help you.

These decisions seem so easy to me now. I haven't forgotten how hard they were when I made them.

Best of luck to you, I enjoy your blog very much.

--Jeff

Anonymous said...

The fact that they talk about the subject is creepy, unless its a long-time thing. They could be wondering about you.

If they are that nasty I'd just tell them right out and tell them its probably genetic and what about it? You probably have an uncle or great uncle who was gay and they may never have thought about it. Old people need to be given a shock sometimes. Good luck man.

Hish said...

I guess that because they are presumably great in all other ways, just this one 'flaw' shouldn't diminish the way you feel towards them. :( At least you have an idea of what they think. I come from a place where no one (at least among the adult/elder generation) talks about homosexuality at all, even if only about disparaging stuff. It's taboo.

But hey, if you've been a good grandson, I don't think they'd love you any less if they found out... After all, it's different referring to 'them' as a generalized whole when 'them' would refer to you, too.

Bruce said...

There is one thing closeted people forget...THESE PEOPLE LOVE YOU. You can change their hearts.

That is why coming out is so important. They love you unconditionally, it might take a while for them to accept that you are gay but part of the coming out process should be you educating them on what it means to be gay. It's not a choice or lifestyle, it's the way you were born just like the way they were born straight. There are some really good books out there that can help in this process. This education is especially important for the older generation (parents, grandparents) because of the negative images that have been portrayed about the gay community and also because in many cases, these people have never known a gay person.

publius100 said...

I hardly know what to say to you, the hurt and fear must be so strong. They love you, you know that. And you fear their love is conditional. Well, I'm not going to lie and tell you they can't make it conditional. If they do, of course, they're the losers for it. You are so much more than your sexual orientation. You are the culmination of hope and desire and ambition, and--frankly--being gay is irrelevant to your being that pinnacle. Just reading your blog makes it clear they have every reason to be proud of you. Realize that. Accept that. Jesus, they have clay feet. Love them in spite of their clay feet. And keep being yourself. Most especially, keep being yourself.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my aunt and uncle used to rant like that about gay people and black people. Then, their son and their neice (myself) turned out gay and my sister married a black man. What comes around goes around.
Just tell your grandparents (respectfully, of course) that that kind of talk bothers you and to please not talk about it in front of you.

manxxman said...

You know when your mom said that to you I hope you gave her a big hug and said thank you. She is still finding it difficult, but she sure as hell won't let her chick be stepped on......by anyone.

FletcherBeaver said...

Isn't it sad that fear and bigotry beats us down and keeps us silent and stops us being who we are. And that very silence allows for fear and bigotry to continue to flourish and nothing changes. It is a vicious cycle. Think how brave the men in the 1940's, or 1950's, or 1960's were who stood up and said I'm gay, when the whole world hated them and they had their families and their jobs and their lives to loose. Think how their amazing steps made it possible for all of us now to live open and free lives. Think how different the world would have been if those first gay men never stood up and never said what they said because they were too afraid. And I know that this doesn’t make it any easier for you, I know that. It is still hard when people you love don’t accept you for who you are. But, essentially, in the greater scheme of things, you don’t have anything to loose and a whole world of difference to gain.

Anonymous said...

Before coming out completely I thought if my family couldn't accept me the way I was, I had many friends to replace them with, but blood is thicker and you cant replace your own family with anyone even a soul-mate.
It's all stupid but let's hope your grandparents change their mind a bit for the sake of their grandson. sometimes people try to be nice, at least, if you have a very supporting family member or worked for me!