Sunday, March 2, 2008

Yup, he's a 'mo...

So the boy last night was definitely gay.

And so was his boyfriend.

At least, I think it was his boyfriend. I mean, he was gay, too, and they showed up together, and the level of comfort between them was really evident.

Of course, it could simply be that way because they've known each other since elementary school, but I sort of felt they were together.

It started to dawn on me that I really have no idea when boys are trying to flirt with me, if they are at all. During the conversation of the evening, the presumed boyfriend made a lot of smiley eye contact with me. But, as it was happening (and even now), I could never be 'sure' what that smile meant, or that look in the eye.

Naturally, I don't really have much practice at flirting with guys at parties, so I kept it at the most basic; small talk conversation getting to know them, more specific questions about their life/work/studies, a couple jokes...

Alas, even though we chatted it up, I still wasn't convinced he was specifically flirting with me. Maybe he was, subtly enough to not annoy his boyfriend. Maybe he wasn't, and is just a generally friendly guy.

This is what I hate about practically everything to do with interaction with people; when you're not 100% sure they are the heart-on-sleeve type of person, you can never know if they're acting, or posing, or just doing something that changes your perception of them. It's frustrating in these scenarios because, well, it's just nice to know if someone's flirting with you!

Strange, since the other guy I talked the most to was definitely straight. It was nice to actually meet new people and have sane conversations, something that I find happens all to little in my life.

And what about the guy who I was supposed to be the non-flamboyant twin of? We didn't really have much conversation between us, and I walked away sort of wondering where she sees the resemblance...but hey, she knows us both well enough that I shouldn't doubt it.

There were the usual promises of 'doing this again soon', and I'll admit I do hope it happens. I came home last night, crashed on the couch and fell asleep, only to be woken up by my roommate falling through the door at 3-ish. Magically, I woke up again at 7:30 a.m., and didn't really get the sleep I wanted.

Today I fidgeted around some more, doing pretty much nothing and feeling guilty about it. Sleep tonight sounds like the best idea I've had in years.

At least the party was fun.

1 comment:

manxxman said...

Will you could have made more progress if you had just said to one of the two gay guys "so how long have you been seeing each other".....you might have been surprised by the answer of "oh we aren't seeing each other, we're just friends".....then you could have worked on your flirting technique.....