Friday, August 24, 2007

Tech update...

I'm in need of new technology.

Well, not 'need', but desire.

All my life I had one computer. For majority of that time, it has been a Pentium III 500mhz beast. Well, used to be a beast. Now it's just a prehistoric beast. When I went to school two years ago, I knew I needed a new computer, and made the switch to a Mac. Now I've got my PC of roughly 10 years, and my Mac of 3 years.

This summer has made me incredibly frustrated when working on my PC. It freezes under the slightest conditions, can't play videos that are larger than 1/7th of the screen, and generally suffers from being very old. I've reinstalled Windows to clear up clutter in the registry, but sadly it's become bogged down again.

When my mom was checking her e-mail the other day, she noticed that while she was typing, the words took several second to translate from the keyboard to the screen. She asked if there was a problem, and I reminded her how old and out-of-date the beast is and how it'd be really nice if we got something a little newer for the home PC.

Well, this discussion has turned into somewhat of an ongoing thing...resulting in a conversation in the car the other day. I had been drooling over the boy who had passed me in the mall with a brand new iMac...I mean I was drooling over the iMac this guy had...anyway I had mentioned all the updates in the new Mac compared to mine. She seemed genuinely interested, and shocked me when she proclaimed that I should probably just leave my Mac at home and buy a new one.

"Oh, but we don't have any money right now," she said. Why do you tempt me so!?

After ensuring her that yes, it would be a good idea, and discussing the finer details about price, she was much more open to it. Considering she thought it would cost $3000 for a new Mac (how she got that iDea I will never know), and finding out it would be much less, she was almost re-opened to the idea. It was left hanging, as parents often do, with a, "We'll see," type of answer.

(I just looked, and my new Mac will set me back $1764.00. Ouch on my very tapped bank account.)

Anyway all of this is fantasy in my mind, because I really want to retire my PC and not loose all my pages every time I open a new window. Oh, and watch video on more of the screen. All things my current Mac will do effortlessly, and my new Mac will do effortlessly and sexily.

So what are your thoughts? Should I push for a new Mac at this point in time, or wait for an even newer model? And what about their new operating system, when does that all go down and will it be on Mac's sold in September/October?...oh so many questions for a project that will sadly probably not happen.

6 comments:

Matt in Argyle said...

I would personally suggest you look into getting a macbook as opposed to an imac. With the student discount they are very affordable. Plus you can take it with you were ever you go. My family used to use Mac's, then made the switch to PC's for $ reasons, but we went through 4 PC's in 5 years, so when I bought my own I went with a Mac. I'll never go back!

Mike said...

According to The Guy who is so into Mac's, definitely wait until September/October when Leopard comes out. It has a lot of neat features, plus having a Mac, keeping computers as long as you do, it will make it worth it to wait because it will have more newer features.

gay, christian and scared shitless said...

ONCE YOU GO MAC YOU NEVER LOOK BACK.

Do it, but do wait for the new OS, I have 2 macs. The older one has only crashed twice (to the point were I've neede to manually shut it down) in 2 years!! (I sound like some crazy mac evangelist.lol)

(good call on the macbook, might be better if your moving around)

Cool blog by the way.

Queen of Arts said...

in regards to that old PC -- you need a new one! no argument there.

just be patient. i will echo mike's comment -- wait awhile for the new OS update to come out, then start shopping for your new mac.

maybe you could get your current mac to serve your needs through the fall, and see if you can get a new one at the beginning of the new year.

J.R. said...

Wow. I get a new computer every two to three years (and pass my old computer to a family member — none of them really care about being up-to-date). I can't imagine using a 10-year-old computer... or, actually at the office we've got some systems that still have Mac OS 9 on them... They work OK, but it really hurts if you've just jumped off the brand news OS X system!

I agree with everyone else: wait for Leopard, and then get a new computer.

Nothing Golden Stays

K said...

I am Co-signing on everything that was previously said. However I would like to add that the back to school iPod special that is going on will end on the Sept 19th I believe.....might be something to factor in if you are looking for a free iPod.

Oh...and of course you can still get the $100 student discount and $100 back for a printer (if you want it).

All and all its a good deal....whenever you decide to take the plunge.