Friday, August 31, 2007

Come out and say it...

I got this in the mail yesterday:



It was tucked into the package mailed out by Holt Renfrew, their fall fashion catalogue/magazine. To my excitement there is now a separate magazine devoted exclusively to men's fashions, and I happily snagged it from the stack. This is a development, because had this been a year ago, I would have never been caught dead with something that 'gay'.

An insert fell from the magazine, bearing the likeness of the man in question and a sample for the new Narciso Rodriguez cologne. My mom picked it up, and studied the picture. She looked a little perturbed.

"What."

She paused. "Well, I don't really like it, he looks a little...young." She kept staring awkwardly at it, and for some reason I didn't buy the 'young' argument.

"Oh come on, he looks like he's in his 20's..." I said, defensively. After all, he's gorgeous, he needs some defending.

"I guess. I don't know, its just..." she went off again, setting the ad on the stove. I didn't get what she was talking about, so I pressed on.

"Just what!?"

"Well, he's so...hairless," she managed. I laughed aloud.

"What do you mean!?"

"Well, most men don't look like that. He's got to be waxing or something..." she trailed off again. This was beginning to make more sense.

"Oh, I see," I said, waiting for her to ask me why she may have found a bottle of Nair for Men that I had accidentally left in the bathroom.

She never asked. Something that she would have found hard not to a year ago.

5 comments:

Matt in Argyle said...

Niar, ouch that stuff burns.

Matt in Argyle said...

ok, make that Nair, Nair burns

Pete said...

I've been told to stop doing that... LOL. I get the impression the metros are old school in this respect.

Anonymous said...

Nair may burn but razors leave rashes!

Waxing hurts too. My mother won't look too much into the shaving=homo concept.

If I show up with earings and an anklet, probably.

J.R. said...

I don't groom nearly as much as the rest of you... I'm feeling like a freak!

Nothing Golden Stays