Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Three hundred and sixty five days...

A lot has changed.

More than I ever thought it could. Good. Bad. Otherwise.

I can gladly say I feel more at peace with myself today than I did exactly one year ago, when I flailed wildly, resisting myself and hating my circumstance. It was so hard for me to understand...but I knew I was doomed to unhappiness and self-hatred and loneliness if I continued to let things be. I also had no idea what to do, where to go, and who to turn to.

Over the past year, my life has changed more than it had in the 20 years before it. For the first time I kissed and meant it, held hands and got the flutter in my chest, dated same-sex partners, gone to bed with them...

Sitting here now, I almost cannot imagine my life without these things. It seems like five years ago, not one, that things started to change. I am so very thankful that they did.

Am I at peace with myself now, 100%? Yes and no. I'm at peace with my sexuality. I don't have that crushing weight on my chest that screamed the need for change and to let me be me. I'm at peace with my friends, who have not turned their backs on me during my harder days or lost respect for me because I'm 'different'. I'm happy to say I love sex!

You know that I still have my tumultuous times, mostly centering around my place in the gay universe. I feel isolated from the gay community in a way I didn't really see myself feeling when I started this journey. A year out of a lifetime isn't exactly a long time, but when it feels like the rest of the world can just come out and embrace things, learn and understand and become part of a community, I feel like I'm very much behind. I'm not at peace with that aspect of my life.

I'm also not at peace with my family. I'm still worried my Mom doesn't really grasp the situation, and I haven't even told Dad yet. How badly I just want it to be out there, so I can stop wondering about what might happen if someone said something...I just want more of a resolution to this part. It's not that I don't know who I am, but I want my close family to know and understand, and ultimately accept too.

Like I have said before, I don't regret the things I've done. I do, however, regret things I did not do. I'm not an extrovert with brazen sensibilities. I think before I act...sometimes too much and for too long. I don't regret the people I've met, the places I've gone or the decisions I made. I'm just sorry that I didn't do more, pushed myself out on a limb and really took myself to the limit. I regret the simplest things, like a missed kiss. I regret the biggest things, like not forcing myself to join the GLBT group at school, or forcing myself to walk through that bar door instead of past it.

What surprises me the most about my experience is how hard it's been, even at my age. I was 20 when I started this journey, and everyone said how young I was and how I had my entire life ahead of me. I will never understand the younger gay guys, some even as young as high school kids, who somehow figure things out, come out and really get the most out of life as a young gay man. Even now after all my progress, I have relatively little gay 'street cred' compared to these twinky boys who were out at age 16. And jealous as I may be for their position in society, I am also overwhelmingly happy for them, that they did not have to go through so many years, when life is so simple, not understanding themselves and not being who they are.

This blog has been my saviour. Without writing my thoughts down, I would never have been able to think things through, and come to a better understanding of how I feel and what I want. Many times I have started writing a post only to have an, "Ahhh," moment, seeing the light and getting a better understanding of my problems, positions and questions. Without the act of writing, I don't know how I would have discovered things about myself.

I also cannot wrap my mind around how fundamentally blogging has changed my world. Because of this blog, I know people all across North America and Europe, who were in the same similar situation as I was. I've met bloggers in person, spent hours on IM to people I may never meet, and texted and phoned my newfound friends, sorting out our lives and our places in the world. Without bloggers and readers, I would never have considered things, understood myself and the world we live in like I do.

In some ways, I wonder if our blogging is a bit of a curse as well. How would things have been different for me if I could not blog, but was forced to start my coming out some other way? Would I have gone to the GLBT office on campus and talked to someone there? Would I have visited a bathhouse in desperate search of answers? Would I still be in the closet, miserable and defeated? Would I have killed myself by now?

I will never know the answers. In some ways I wonder if I could have found what I was looking for faster had I just thrown myself to the wolves. But a large part of me looks at that alternate universe and sees nothing but black because of the missing component of this blog. I do not know where I would be if it was not for all of you. When I think of the faces of people I now know, I cannot imagine life without knowing you. And quite simply, I would never have known you.

This journey has been hard. Not a single step has been easy, unquestioned or painless. There have been times when my energy is tapped, when I have no more to give to myself and nowhere else to get it from. I have felt alone and afraid, with no one to turn to. I have pat the empty side of my bed and asked my eternal question, "Why?" I have cried with and because of my family.

But I have come so far.

Am I proud of myself? Who knows. I'm pleased that I know who I am now, that I understand myself and accept myself. I'm happy that I've come out to my friends and can live freely in my identity. I'm glad I have more to myself than the fact I'm 'gay', and that people seem to recognize that. I'm happy that I've tried (though failed) to love and be loved. Still, I feel there is so much to do... but maybe the worst is behind me.

Thank you for being with me, for however many of the past 365 days you have been. I hope you'll stick around for the next 365.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I for one hope to get to know you better in the next 365 days and that includes a Starbuckian moment when I'm in Toronto next summer.

Anonymous said...

Its been nice watching you grow from afar. I wish the best for you in 2008 and the next 365 blogging days

Aek said...

It's been great of you to open up your life to us on your blog. And it's great that you've come as far as you have. Don't hesitate to say "hi" once in a while. :P

gay, christian and scared shitless said...

365 days is an awful lot of days?? lol :-P
I'm sure we'll stick around for a few

Hish said...

I'll stick around for even more than 365 days; 366 or 367, at least. That is, if nothing happens to me or you in that period of time.

Thanks for your life with us! And congratulations on the progress you've made all this time.

TheDreamer said...

Brilliant post! Congrats on making it so far in a year, and good luck with the next 365 days. I plan to be reading all the way through...

Rambunctious WhipperSnapper said...

I came across your blog yesterday and have managed to read quite a few of your posts. And I'd like to say that it really cheered me up. I haven't been out yet, not yet had my first true kiss but reading your blog has instilled the hope in me that I will someday. And hopefully we can keep sharing in your journey in the next 365 days .... Have a great year!!

manxxman said...

You have come a long way.....and you will continue to grow. It won't always feel so painful.

I look forward to what the coming year brings you (hopeful a b/f will be in there).

Anonymous said...

When I look back I find all kinds of things that happened around puberty that made me know I was gay but they "had" to be kept secret, even from me, so to speak. I was 23 before I had sex with a guy and another five years before I was at all "out". And that's thirty something years ago because it was harder because of laws etc.

You have started at almost the right age - your blog is great and I love hearing about everything you do.

Best of everything in 2008.

Chris

Uncle Gerry said...

You have made tremendous progress in your journey. Coming out is definitely a journey and not a destination, it continues for all of us as each new situation presents us an opportunity to grow into ourselves or help others to grow into themselves. I have enjoyed reading your posts and will continue to check back to see how your journey goes.

Mike said...

Hopefully the next 365 days are great for you also! I have enjoyed reading! Your post was written very well!

I think that online for me was actually the best option. Not that I was choosing, but my accidentally stumbling on other closeted guys in more or less the same situation was best. I like the idea of not knowing who the other people are reading, but also meeting fellow bloggers who were each struggling with the same thing. I think it makes it easier than meeting someone in person at the GLBT center for example because yes, even though you may know the people and other fellow bloggers online, the not knowing them in person makes it easier to chat, bounce ideas off, get feedback, and things like that.

Matt in Argyle said...

Good for you, I think I'm fairly close to that as well. It is still rather annoying (well for me personally, haha) when I see the young guys who are so confident in being gay. Makes me jealous, they get to enjoy those years a little more than I did.

Tom said...

Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading your post.
You seem very intelligent and write very well.
I'd like to think this reflects on your upbringing and suggest your parents are intelligent also.
So I hope all goes well for you when you decide to "come out" to them.

Pete said...

Wonderfully poignant and well-written post. You have certainly come a long way, and there sure is a road ahead of you, ahead of all of us.

Best wishes for 2008, may it be a glamorous year. ;-)

JUSTIN said...

Gotta agree with the others, you seem to have made great strides in the last year. Congrats!

blueyedboy said...

Seems I'm a bit late commenting on this post, so I'll keep it short by just saying 'thank you'. I think I've been reading your blog from close to the word go, and it remains probably my favourite read today. All the very best for 2008, and here's to another 365 days of blogging! :)

B said...

You have indeed come a long way. I know how you feel...it is damn hard to go through the process of accepting our sexuality and beginning to come out. Like you, I am not sure how I will fit in "the community." Blogging is great isn't it? I don't know what I would do without the community of bloggers I have found in these last couple of months, many of whom I now consider friends. So keep writing...I'll be continuing to read in 08!