Sunday, June 24, 2007

Hectic...

Now I really wish I was on that vacation...

These past few days have been insane. I've gotten about 6 hours of sleep each night, and thankfully got to 'sleep in' this morning. It all started going downhill after saying yes to my Uncle and starting to work for him, while at the same time adjusting to all the new crap I have to do.

But you don't want to hear about all that.

I'll definately recount the more interesting parts of the past few days though. First off, the Stevie Nicks concert. Oh...how I love Stevie Nicks. Fleetwood Mac is my all-time-favorite band, and naturally that love extends to Stevie. Her concert was pretty good, not the greatest thing I've seen or heard from her, but it was also only the second show I've seen her in, so I wasn't complaining about getting the chance to listen to her in person.

Sadly, the crowd sucked. Nobody near me was moving, dancing, singing or really showing the slightest interest. The couple in front of my seat were constantly typing on their BlackBerry and practically ignoring the show. The only saving grace was the 50 people who had approached the front of the stage and stood dancing and waving through the entire set. They were great fun to watch, as was the two guys in front of another row. They would intermitantly get up and dance their asses off, but ultimately never got anyone else on their feet. I'd like to appologize to Ms. Nicks for the horrible audience.

I also decided on the drive home that if I ever turn into a drag queen, it would have to be one modeled after the Welsh Witch herself. For the second last song, she came out in that top hat with a huge white feather, and just looked so damn cool. Not that I have a vested interest in becoming a drag queen...but if I got to run around looking like that for fun once in a while, it might actually be ok.

The other interesting event was my beginning working for my Uncle. Not 2 hours after I'd dropped my parents at the airport, he'd called me wondering what I was doing the next day. I agreed to do one job for him, and somehow that has snowballed into working every day since. It pisses me off to no end that he continually manipulates me into working, but at this point I need money, and didn't realize how much time I would need to keep up with everything else I need to do, and work. That explains why there's been no posts recently, because I really haven't sat down except to eat and sleep.

Taking up working for my Uncle did give me an interesting experience earlier in the week. He's in the agriculture business (I'd say more but I'd prefer to keep it vauge) and was hired by a couple to do some odd jobs at their farm. Naturally, that fell to me to do. My Saintly Uncle is always pleased with himself about these clients, because he's the only guy that will do work for them in the area. You see, they're a gay couple.

So there I was, listening to my Uncle and cousin and the other hired help go on about how I needed to go up to the "fags" place and do some work. They made a few jokes, including wondering if they were going to Pride this weekend...and I sat stoney faced and very unimpressed. My Uncle now fancies himself a humanitarian because he'll work for these guys when others refuse to because they happen to be gay. Even though that means he makes about a million gay jokes and really doesn't have any respect for them. Every time I needed to talk about going up there, I simply kept conversation to what needed to be done, and never acknowledged there was any difference with them than there would be working for anyone else.

My cousin dropped me off, and on the way up their drive reminded me, "Don't make any jokes about them going to the city this weekend..." Right. Like I'm the one that needs sensitivity training.

I actually got to meet both guys, and they were quite nice. Of course, I was given the impression they were flaming hippie queers, and why I believed any of that I'm not even sure. The one was obviously gay, but wasn't throwing his arms in the air and screaming "Oh, dahhhhling!"

His partner actually was an even bigger surprise for me. He was in really good shape, and wearing some very fitted clothes. I couldn't help but check him out, and I'd even go so far as to say I was attracted to him. There was just something about him, he was just hot, what can I say? It must have been the heat, and my undersexed self simply got carried away...

They were both really nice guys, offering me cold drinks while I was working away. I found myself desperately wanting to tell them about me, to let them know I wasn't just another idiot hick who would be going home and sniggering about the homos I saw today...but in all honesty, what kind of a conversation would that have been? And what really did it matter, considering I was polite and engaged with them, never saying anything the least bit uncomfortable or insulting. I just hope they realized I was a little different than the ones that usually came around.

So there's my exciting last few days...now excuse me, I have a date with a pillow and blanket that I really don't want to be late for.

3 comments:

Queen of Arts said...

Based on your behavior, they probably figured you 'out' (slightly unintentional pun).

As for Stevie, how could anyone pay money for a concert (or a movie) and spend most of their time on their Blackberry, PDA, cell phone, etc. ?? What a wasted experience.

Anonymous said...

Steve,

I laughed out loud at your "ohhh dahhhling" comment! Good stuff!

J.R. said...

My favorite part is when your oblivious cousin tells you not to make fag jokes...Steve

Nothing Golden Stays