Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Out of time...

I'm facing somewhat of a dilemma.

Ok, it's more than somewhat. It's nearing a full-blown crisis: my employment status. Before I went away, I applied to a handful of good jobs that were in my area. These weren't jobs at the iced cream stand, or shucking coffee or burgers or something...these were decent student jobs that I felt really qualified for.

Through a set of circumstances which leave me wondering why Fate doesn't want me to have a good job, I was never hired by anyone. I wasn't even called for an interview. When I did follow up with on particular job, the woman told me I had a stellar resume, but that she didn't call me because she "thought (I) would want something better than her job." After smacking my forhead a few times, I began packing for France and forced myself to not worry about getting a job.

While I was away, for the most part I didn't dwell on the job thing. Every now and then we'd get into a discussion about what everyone was doing for summer jobs, and I would painfully recount my story thus far. Everyone was sympathetic, and agreed that I am always getting screwed with the job thing. Near the end of the trip, I would fall asleep with the doom and gloom of what I had to look forward to when getting home: moving out of my apartment and finding a job.

Still, I kept a positive attitude, and even applied for a few jobs the day after I got home. And still, nobody has even bothered to call me back. I'm now really, really screwed, because all the jobs that were 'good' are gone, and I'm faced with finding another to desperately start saving for next year's tuition.

There really isn't that much available to me here. In truth, I have no good options. All the jobs that are open are things that I can't even imagine myself doing...fast food, coffee places (sadly not Starbucks, but more like McDonalds Coffee Houses), resturants...and Wal Mart.

I don't knock anyone who works any of these jobs. But I also can't see myself donning the blue vest and walking into the world's biggest chain store. It just makes me feel...well, not very useful. I mean, I'm going into my 3rd year of college, I've got a resume that blows many out of the water, I've got citations for academic excellence and references from important people around town...I should be pouring myself into something more worthwhile than pouring coffee.

And it brings up a host of other issues...like can I ethically work at Wal Mart. I don't even shop there, and though I'm no bleeding-heart anti-globalization ultra-liberal, working for 'The Man' that is Wal Mart gives me a queezy feeling. I don't know if I can respect myself after walking in and out of that door with that damn blue vest on.

The worst part is, I'm running out of time. I've been home a week and a few days, and I really need to start working. The forcast is grim...I don't really have anywhere else left to apply except at some chain store for a job I don't even want. But I need something. Now.

What should I do? Am I being pretentious by not wanting to work at a fast food joint? Should I strap on my blue vest and sign up for Wal Mart? Do I keep waiting for something to come along that better suits me? Please, I really need some advice.

3 comments:

blueyedboy said...

Can you not just go to an employment agency that could sort you out with some short term assignments doing like office work and stuff? That's what I did a couple of summers ago - at least it means working in a decent environment and getting paid an alright wage.

Anonymous said...

Quick ideas:

1. You need money, and you've listed some honest ways to earn money. No, the jobs that you're left with are not great. You won't go back to college with great stories about your job. Or maybe you might . . . because you've never worked at one of those places doing whatever. One of my most menial jobs in college gave me probably the best boss I've ever had. The job helped me develop a view of life that has guided me when making big decisions later on. And besides that, it paid me money that I desperately needed the next academic year. (And I now think back fondly to a job that I started with loathing.)

2. How about a temp agency? Temping can give you entree to lots of firms, let you see lots of kinds of jobs. Will you do wonderful things? No, you'll answer the phone, photocopy documents, and the like. But temping can get you inside organizations. If you find one of these organizations to be simpatico and the people there find you simpatico, you might have started your job search for next summer.

Sorry that your good jobs didn't work out. But you still have options for the summer.

Tom in USA

Mike said...

I'd say no to the Walmart. I understand what you're saying, but maybe it is just because I am anti-Walmart. I have heard and read things on the internet and in books about how once you're with Wal-Mart, you're seen as anti-union, so if you were to work with a company that has a union later it may be difficult. I know just because you're interested in journalism like I am APTRA is the union that represents all LA TV writers, actors, news anchors, reporters, and radio personalities.

You're looking for a summer job, so it is just temporary and sure you might not make what you're wanting to. Hey... I'm just throwing ideas out... have you looked into working in the city government like maybe they have a summer program or something going on for kids or something like that or even an internship type deal, or something even journalism related like public relations that you could do.

I don't know... it is totally your decision. I'm just telling you some things I've heard.

Good luck!!!