Monday, June 11, 2007

How long can he keep this up...

So I've been really consciously eating well since I came home. And I'm reaching the point that it's killing me.

While I was away, I didn't spare any calories. I ate all the cheese, bread and other delicious but deadly foods that were placed in front of me. That said, thanks to Phase One of my weight-loss plan, I didn't eat as much of anything as I would have a year ago. But when I came home, I decided to immediately move on to Phase Two, not allowing myself to slide into any bad habits now that I've got constantly-stocked cupboards.

Phase One was something of an unconcious weight loss. Part stress pounds, part poor diet, part lack of interest in cooking, it all added up to me loosing around 15 pounds without me really meaning to. I didn't really monitor my weight every day, or restrict myself from eating a good variety of foods; it just seemed to want to come off me, and I happily let it.

Phase Two is something that I'm currently working on. It's required some changes, but surprisingly I'm actually enjoying a few of them. For starters, I now eat something for breakfast, a meal that I loathe. Lunch is a salad with something sprinkled on top, be it chicken or lunch meats, and possibly a piece of bread. Dinners are the usual affairs, but with more vegetables and less meat.

All that I can handle. I really am in love with the salad I'm buying these days, some organic romaine concoction that's really great to eat. Eating less meat is alright by me, even though I'm by no means going vegge. And eating more fruits instead of other things is yummy this time of year beacuse of all the fresh strawberries, blueberries and so on that are available.

What's starting to make me crack is the sweets part. Not that I ate a box of cookies a day, or gorged on iced cream every afternoon, but I always ate, and enjoyed, sweets. Starting Phase Two, I limited myself to one thing a day. It's been fine up until today. The cupboard is full of good bad things; butter tarts, cookies, chocolate, chips, iced cream... and I'm starting to seriously reconsider how much I'll actually gain back if I eat a few cookies and a tart tonight.

Gah! I can't let this happen! I've been doing well, and I really do want to keep loosing the weight, but dammit my mind (or body) is now starting to demand some refined sugars and fat. But I'm trying not to give in...at least when I was at school I would literally have to go out and get something if I wanted crappy food; at home, my mother is my enabler, leaving all this good bad stuff right in front of me.

Phase Three is the part where I'm supposed to actually go to the gym and start working my body to get some definition. I've been lifting weights here at home semi-regularily, and I downloaded a basic Yoga DVD to try out the stretching and core excercises, but naturally that's not nearly enough. I need to run/cycle, and definately need some personal training to show me what the hell I've got to do. But Phase Three only starts when I've lost some more weight, and it's not just quite there yet.

3 comments:

Matt in Argyle said...

I found I lost alot of weight from combining eating right and running. I never used to run, but I tried loading up my ipod and started off small and gradually built it up to bigger distances. The biggest thing I had to do was force myself to actually monitor what I ate, and try and stop the 'I'm doing well how about a treat' mentality.

Mike said...

You can do it!!! I think you're doing a good job already being able to limit the sweets. That is my weakness.

I know what you mean about needing sommeone to show you what to do. At times at the gym, I still feel like that. I was also afraid to jump in, but after 1 personal training session I was no longer as scared I guess to go out on the floor with all the machines.

manxxman said...

Steve,

Ok how much overweight were/are you. I somehow can't see it....but who knows.

This has to be for you and not anyone else. If you really want it you'll continue.

How is the job hunting going?

Mark