Friday, June 1, 2007

This is 2007...

I really should start a series - "This is 2007" - showcasing all the things that piss me off about how the people in our world seem to still be stuck in some backward pasttime and have not realized that we live in a civilized, evolved society.

(Maybe I should have italicized those words...)

I bounded out of bed this morning, feeling awake and alive and almost over jetlag and exhaustion. I tiptoed over to my computer that now sits in my bedroom, a novelty that I'm still getting used to. Before I went to school, I never had a PC in my room, but since moving home this summer, I've decided there's no room to put it anywhere else (not that there's room on my dresser...but these things are ment to try us...). Naturally, it makes jacking off a lot easier too, because when that door is closed in the evening and I've 'gone to bed' I can beat to my feverant delight and theoretically nobody should walk in the door. God help them if they did!

This morning I surfed my usual pages, checking my messages to see if anyone has gotten back to me about a job (poor Steve is unemployed at the moment...nobody seems to want him and his stellar resume...) and landed on Facebook to check out the pictures people had posted from our France trip. This is a good thing about living in 2007, the internet is so pervasive that everyone willingly puts up their private photographs for others to see. So instead of making multiple copies off the negatives of film cameras, us poor students get to enjoy 1500+ images from each other's cameras.

Before I even got to checking the pictures, I browsed the newsfeed to see what had been going on since I slept. In case you don't use it, Facebook provides a 20 line newsfeed of your friend's activities; who messaged who, who added photos, etc etc. I came across an item of a guy I knew in high school, who had just added 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' to his favorite TV shows. A little strange, I thought, but what the hell. I clicked on to his profile, and a flicker of excitement waved in my chest.

His profile had changed. His sexual interest was now Men.

This was not entirely impossible in my view. He was a great guy, a little reserved (not unlike myself), definately not the boneheaded jock that he could have been. And he's also really easy on the eyes, and still on the swim team at college (though that only added to the hope that indeed he was gay...because he's real easy to look at) So when I considered it, I gave myself a moment to analyze, and ultimately thought, "Sure, he's gay. Good for him!"

After I had decided that this was logical and possible, I scrolled down and checked out the rest of his profile. There were a few more changes listed...he now likes 'gay music', 'Brokeback Mountain', 'How To Attract Gay Men - A Guide' and "flamming sexual partners whom I hope to meet at the bars now that I'm 19".

I exhaled and sighed aloud. Possibly because yesterday was his 19th birthday, his friends had hijacked his account and made a 'really funny' joke of his profile. Which included changing his sexual orientation, and then writing some insane garbadge about being gay. Too bad, he'd have made a cute gay guy.

Then I found myself getting pissed off, because of the thoughtlessness and stupidity of what people had done. How can anyone our age make gay jokes anymore? How is it funny to make it look like your friend is gay? Why is being gay funny to straight people?

It's not that they defaced his profile...if done properly I think it'd be pretty funny. But to make him gay as part of the defacement, and think that that's funny, blows me away. I didn't think people thought being gay was a joke anymore, or that it s something to laugh about. I found myself really offended by the fact that college boys our age still stigmatize homosexuality so much that they make a big joke of it all.

And it wasn't even saterical or farcial or anything remotely witty that I could appriciate. It was a step above calling someone gay on the playground to make fun of them. And that's it.

This isn't the first time I've seen it done, in the exact same method. But this was the first time I felt really offended and shocked that people my own age could still be so unaware. Come on guys, this is 2007.

1 comment:

blueyedboy said...

...Because half of them are still so insecure about their own sexuality... *Sigh*

Welcome back btw!