Thursday, July 19, 2007

Characterization...

I love those moments when you don't intend to learn something, yet it sporadically falls in your lap.

Earlier, I was looking out the window, watching the rain patter onto the burnt grass and blacktop. For some reason, I wrote the words, "I am a rainy Thursday."

This in itself is nothing amazing. A few words written almost subconsciously and for no particular reason. I went away, did something else, and came back, re-reading what I had wrote.

It then started me thinking, what does this mean? What makes me a rainy Thursday. And then I started to see the light.

In many ways, I really am a rainy Thursday. I feel like a Thursday, anyway. The day before the fun chaos of the weekend breaks out, when the freedom is close enough to taste, yet an entire other day away. Thursday nights are best spent with friends and a few drinks; good times but overshadowed with the knowing you have one more day left before you're able to truly be free.

But why rainy? Because, I'm just different than most other days. Not using the usual imagery of clouds and depression, but rather the approach there are more sunny days than rainy ones. And I really feel like I do stand out from the sunny days. Hell, if a 20-year-old can recount the better part of the lyrics to the entire 'Born to Run' album, there's got to be something different about him.

Maybe someday soon, I'll move on from Thursday and become...not Friday. Fridays seem to be the times when energies run highest, when nights out drag far into the next day, where people do anything to help unwind from a weeks worth of stress. I'd take a Saturday though, with a good time in the evening and rolling around with someone in bed all morning.

Who knows. Maybe things will change someday soon.

So, what day are you?

3 comments:

J.R. said...

Great post man.

I feel like this stage of my life (getting read to come out, hopefully) is Thursday. At least, I hope so.
What day am I though? Probably Monday.

Nothing Golden Stays

Matt in Argyle said...

I think I'm a Sunday, still relaxing but also looking out for the week ahead.

Closet NS

Queen of Arts said...

I'm a Tuesday -- separated enough from the relaxation of the weekend so that energies are most productive, and far enough away from the coming weekend to prevent daudling and daydreaming.

:)