Monday, July 23, 2007

Don't stand so close to me...

"Oh my God, Kevin!"

I turned to face him more fully, moving my head closer to hear what he was saying. The Police had just finished taking their last bows and the house lights had still not come up. I had stepped from my seat and was in a crush of people leaving the Air Canada Centre, stuck on the stairs as those closer to the exit moved to leave.

As I stood there, my eyes wandered around the crowd. I never expected to see anyone I knew, nor did I expect to see anyone that would catch my eye. I had just locked eyes with a slightly cute 30-something when his face creased into a smile.

After his initial comment, his words were lost in the crowd noise. I leaned in closer trying to hear what he was saying. I gave up.

"Sorry, I'm not Kevin," I said simply, shrugging slightly. He looked a little confused.

"You're his fucking twin then!" was all he said, and turned around to the guy standing beside him.

Part of me wishes I was more spontaneously extroverted, had asked the guy who Kevin was, and ended up actually chatting with people 'on the street'. Besides, how am I ever going to actually meet guys if I'm not a little more talkative?

Instead, the crowd began to crawl forward, and I followed them silently to the warmth of the concrete sidewalk.

No comments: