Monday, July 2, 2007

Don't make trouble (the unintentional update)...

I like irony, but not when ironic things happen to me.

It ended up that yesterday I spent majority of the afternoon and evening with Nick. It was just standard hang-out time, very laid back, and it went by really quickly. Kinda nice, considering I don't have many straight male friends that I would spend this kind of time with.

He dropped a bit of a revelatory bomb on me, with the news that he's been dating a girl from high school for the past two weeks, and that things had been going, "Really well." I was more than a little surprised, considering some of the angsty things he'd said about women, relationships and being single. But it's great news, and whats more I actually like the girlfriend a lot.

We wound up driving through town looking for food at about 8 p.m., settling on really crappy Chinese take-out, which was one of the few things actually open. We ordered, and walked next door to a convenience store to grab a drink. Nick opted for some iced tea, I grabbed that wonderful soda known as Cherry Vanilla Diet Dr.Pepper. He looked at me once we were outside.

"You shouldn't drink that stuff," he said. "It's bad for you."

"Oh, it's not that bad, besides, I don't drink a liter every day."

"Yeah, but it's got aspartame, and it'll give you cancer," he said, worried. He looked at me and added, "Dear."

I reassured him that it was alright once in a while. Then we looked at each other and burst out laughing.

"Woah. Its like we're a couple," he laughed. In truth, it wasn't really all that out of place. When the conversation started, it was out of genuine concern, not the set-up for a joke. But when we realized how startlingly natural it was, it only made sense to point it out.

Turns out the girl he's now dating jokingly refers to us as a couple because of the stories he's told her. But the title does fit, I guess, even though it's never been that way before. So now we'll have a nice running joke, and I can tell her to back off from my boyfriend next time I see her.

As I was driving home, it felt a little spooky realizing only the day before how coupley we could be, and Nick bringing up the same thing the next day.

2 comments:

Queen of Arts said...

The "dear" made me laugh out loud ... I could almost hear it ...

Matt in Argyle said...

haha, but seriously don't drink aspartame!