Monday, July 23, 2007

Sonofabitch...

It is Monday, July 23.

This is the third day the new Harry Potter book has been available.

My copy was ordered June 15.

It has still not arrived.

Shitty.

I'm now faced with the ever-growing threat of finding out what happens before I actually get to read it. Several friends have already finished it, or are well on their way to doing so. And I haven't even gotten my copy yet.

Now I curse Indigo Books, the Canadian version of Barnes & Noble, because they have failed me. The reasoning for my anger is twofold. I ordered two books, both of which had not been 'published' when I placed the order. The other title was 'Lean, Mean Thirteen' by the hilarious Janet Evanovich. Shocking even to me, it arrived in my mailbox on the day of release, having been mailed a few days before. I was very pleased, and expected similar results with Harry Potter.

So this morning I waited patiently for the mailman to drive by the house. I bounded down the driveway, dizzy with anticipation. Ripping open the mailbox door, I stared in at a few bills and the local paper. No book.

Instantly I went online to check my order's status. Indigo's web page says the order is 'awaiting processing'. Whhhaaat? This was supposed to be boxed up and mailed by now!!!

The ultimate piss-off (and second reason) is the fact that I interrupted tradition by purchasing it online. For the last two books, it has been a bizarre circumstance that I was always at a friend's party on the evening of the release. One year, I mentioned that the book was going on sale, and that it'd be funny for a bunch of tipsy teens to crash the local bookstore's midnight release party to get our copies.

Even funnier, I ended up loading the car full of people to head to the bookstore. We all got our copies, but didn't start reading until the next afternoon thanks to a blinding hangover (ahh youthful indiscretion...).

So it happened that on Friday night I was at a friend's house party, with some of the very same people who picked up the other books in past years. I didn't bother saying anything since my copy was supposedly tucked into Friday's mail and would arrive this morning for my reading pleasure.

But no book has arrived.

Now I've got to censor everything from conversations with friends to my Internet surfing for fear of another "Snape kills Dumbledore!" fiasco.

Sonofabitch. I want my book!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with keeping away from spoilers... thats something I would not wish on my enemies (to spoil an ending).

Have fun reading it once you get it. I am already half way through.

Matt in Argyle said...

your not alone in this, I have several friends who all bought the book online (from chapters or Amazon), all of whom have yet to receive it.

Mike said...

I've never even touched a Harry Potter book... gasp!

Queen of Arts said...

that sucks -- they should have taken care of your order considering how you technically "reserved" a copy by ordering in advance.

Mike said...

borrow someone's.

and the moral of the story is: always have it delivered to the store.

Naijadude said...

haha , you will be fine. Your book will arrive just in time when friends are done reading theirs..
hmm.. I think u sure know the way to the nearest Chapters next time eh! funny thing I strolled into Walmart on saturday and I nearly finished reading the last chapter while my friends were shopping and I didnt buy the book eventually!