Sunday, April 15, 2007

More happiness...

It must be the end of semester stress/realization that it's all over for another year.

People left and right have been overly nice this past week, overly social and completely candid. It's either because everyone's really down about leaving, or there's mass delusions thanks to collective over-learning during the last week of class.

It's been infectious, too. I've talked to so many people (comparative to other weeks) and actually found that I've started friendships. There are people I never got to know until just this week, but it's really wonderful to know I'll have people to come back to in September. Plus, by the way it looks, I'll have lots of people to keep in touch with over the summer.

There is one in particular, which I found so touching. I met Amy randomly, walking with people who I found out to be mutual friends of hers and mine. She gave them each a hug, then threw open her arms and moved to me. I didn't hesitate at all, and gave her a huge hug. Ever since we've had this crazy thing going on between us. I love her, yet I don't even know her that well.

As the weeks went by we'd share a few words here and there, only in passing. The times we tried to go for coffee, it just never panned out, with one or the other needing to be somewhere else. Last week she did some Facebook quiz, the type where you list 10 random friends and answer questions about them. The question that corrisponded with me was: "What is it about your friendship with (blank) that you like the most?"

Her answer was though we didn't spend a lot of time together, she felt that I was a great person and a good friend, and wished we actually got to be together more often. I resolved to mention to her that I was really touched by that, but I ended up sending her a message before I saw her in person. I sent:

"I just wanted to say, I read your note, and the thing I love about you the most is the fact that I really don't 'know' you, yet I consider you a good friend too, and I really love that. You're amazing, I don't even know what it is but I feel totally at ease when I'm around you. You're just wonderful I guess...lol anyway I just wanted to say that it was ironic to read that you're comfortable with me when I was thinking the same thing about you. In this crazy world it's amazing to meet people that friendship can develop at an almost unspoken level between people. much love!!!"

Her response came the next afternoon, and I wasn't prepared at all for it.

"Oh golly, sir ...I just read your message and dropped a full load of laundry on my floor. Now I'm sitting here reduced to tears, typing away as I try to reorganize my socks. LOL! I think your message was one of the sweetest and most honest things I've ever received. Thank you so much for telling me this ... You really can't put a value on a connection like this. It's our secret! Haha. Ever since I first saw you, I thought you were such a breath of fresh air, which is why I had no problem bear-hugging a "complete stranger". You're just different. I didn't think such pure hearts still existed, so excuse me while I break out in hallelujahs. Anywaaaaays, I'm going to pick up my laundry ^_^ You're a doll, Steve, you really are. Love right back to you <3."

I still get goosebumps after reading it. That has to be one of the nicest notes I've recieved, maybe ever. It's moments like that that make life special.

Of course afterwards I started overanalizing (What do you mean I'm differet!?). Something I should really work on...

All in all, it's been a fascinating year. Lots of good. Enough bad. And I'm sure glad that I'm leaving school on a high note, and with the hopes that the next will be that much better.

1 comment:

Mike said...

I'm VERY jealous you're out for the summer. Hope you have a great one, though! I'm also glad it sounds like you're meeting some cool people to hang with next year.