Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Unreliable...

Is it just the reality of the 21st Century that people are unreliable? Has it always been this way?

I pined all last night when my internet went out, wondering if the guy who I'm meeting tonight was trying to get in touch with me. I checked to see if I'd gotten any text messages, but sadly there was nothing.

Finally I got back online when I went to class today and immediately checked my messages. Nothing. I sent a quick e-mail asking if we were still on, and then later (at about 4 p.m.) a text to make sure that he knew I was expecting him.

At 4:56 p.m. I got a text back...that he might not make it in time but to call him tonight.

Ugh. Why does this have to happen? I set myself up to be supremely disappointed, got all ready for him to say he couldn't come, and yet I'm still a little sad that he's not going to make it. Then the question is, when will he be free? Tomorrow? Next week?

I'm going to the Lindsey Buckingham concert tomorrow night, and am seriously considering inviting him along (I have a spare ticket). That way, we get to spend the evening together, and if things go well he can stay the night (since nobody has school on Friday). But at this point it's all wishful thinking and bullshit. I'm alternating between pissed off and genuinely disappointed.

So my question is: Are all humans unreliable? Does anyone actually come when they say they will, do what they say they'll do, or call when they say they'll call? Or is it just young gay guys who are constantly letting me down these days...

2 comments:

blueyedboy said...

I think that it's the advent of the cellphone that has made people unreliable... In the 'old days', if you made a date with someone then you quite simply had to be there - there was no way of blowing someone out at the last minute. So you just gotta accept that with the convenience of having a cellphone, there's also the inconvenience of people changing arrangements at the last minute...

about a boy said...

argh. not all humans are unreliable but unfortunately there are just enough to around to annoy the reliable ones.