Monday, January 29, 2007

Mildly offensive...

I've only been doing the online thing since basically December. I cut my teeth on CL and have moved on to a few different sites. Honestly I keep finding myself back on CraigsList, I think because it's a little more chronological. It's not just a bunch of profiles or names to choose from, it's people posting for sex/other at a specific time. Plus, you can make endless posts tailored to your sexual needs that day, instead of just having one profile.

A few days ago, I got the strangest e-mail I've received yet. It read:

"How in the hell do you think if people has AIDS by jumping bed to bed. very good way of getting it STOP NOW before you endup dead from it. I'm clean & clear & I keep my thing in my pants. i've got better things to do then looking for guys on craigslist just to spead AIDS or look for a one nite stand THINK BUDDY "

I had to read it about three times before I could understand what this guy was trying to say. My post was fairly mild compared to some, I made specific reference to looking for disease free guys, insisting on safe sex only...not exactly what I would call a loose cannon trying to get/infect someone with AIDS.

Then I started thinking about it...I did some research on gay-friendly health sites before I even started sleeping with guys, and felt fairly confident that I'd been safe. I've always used a condom, always asked about the guy's health (I know you can easily lie, but it helps to ask straight out), I haven't exposed myself to anyone with cuts or sores in my mouth, etc.

Of course, AIDS is the elephant in the room. I mean, we're bombarded with statistics and facts, told that it's easily spread by unsafe sex, and can even be transmitted by unprotected oral or swallowing. It's pretty damn terrifying!

But looking at the other side, if you're consiously playing safe, the likelihood of being exposed to it is lowered. Also, from reading the number of gay blogs out there, guys are having sex with multiple partners all the time, and do so safely.

Now, I'm not undermining anyone who's contracted AIDS. There are of course cases where guys either barebacked or had a condom break and were exposed, but it seems as more and more people are serious about safe sex, the chances of being exposed are much lower than say in the 80's or even 90's.

Still, it's a scary topic, and I don't know how people look at it objectively. On the one hand, nobody should be having sex unless they and their partner are tested first. On the other, the sexual promsicuity of a young man is so intense that it will at times override common sense and the ability to think clearly. As long as you know you're playing safe, the threat is minimalized by your horniness.

I don't know, but I'd love to speak to a health professional about it.

No comments: