Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A boy's white night (part 2)...

Things could only get better after having sat in a room silently with my ex-roommate for 45 minutes.

I tried to rebound, personality wise, as best I could. After all, I'd just sat practically without saying anything. So I took a few more swigs and we headed out on the town.

Almost immediately I got the sense that Katie was flirting with me. She adjusted my hair, pulled on my jacket, and threw my bag at a different angle on my shoulder. Oh, and the fact that halfway through the night, she pulled off my glasses and cooed, "Yeah, you're hot. Without these."

Gee, thanks.

Flirtations aside, we had a good time stalking the city after dark. It's not as if we were alone, as predictions showed nearly 1 million people turned out for the festival/show. We saw toilets floating on water, acrobats on ropes, silent looped films...it was all very artistic. We were even going to venture into the abandoned subway station, opened specifically for this show, but the lineup was around the block.

What's with that! Can't people just not attend these things so I don't have to wait?



Along the way we ran into several people we knew, mixing and mingling with people from all walks of life. Really, the magic wasn't so much the art, but the fact a huge portion of the population was out in a festive spirit. It was like when people cared about Christmas.

Keeping with the Christmas tradition, we warmed ourselves up with coffee and Baileys. How rebelious, walking the streets with spiked coffee...at least we didn't smoke anything, like so many of the other pretentious hippie kids.

At 1:30 we'd taken in enough art, and headed to a local bar for a few drinks. On the way, Katie got a call from her friend, who wanted us to meet in the Village and go out there.

My stomach leaped. Was this it? I was going to hit a gay bar? With my straight friends?

We started out in that general direction, and I got a little tense. I mean, I'm paranoid of actually going, yet this crowd would be a lot of fun. And I would have the guise of an overcrowded bar to keep me semi-hidden, lost in a sea of randoms out for the festival.

Also, part of me was excited. I do want to get out there...maybe this was my ticket.

Alas, it wasn't meant to be. When we got there, Katie called her friend, who had already gone home. We trundled down the street into another bar she knew of and closed the place down.

Back out on the street, we headed back to Katie's place, though not really knowing why. We continued drinking, our small party in her small apartment. One thing led to another, I went to the washroom, and came back to find them all knee-deep in a game of truth or dare.

I took my seat, and was given the 'truth or dare' question. I chose truth, because to be honest, I'm not very daring. I'm still not crazy enough to strip, run naked or otherwise fulfill most of the dares people like to come up with. I took my truth.

"What percentage of men have you slept with over women," Katie asked, straight faced.

Well, this is unexpected. I smiled wryly, and was happy with my reaction. I didn't really care that she knew, much less anyone else there.

"It's a lot higher with the boys than with the girls," I laughed. She smiled dangerously at me. Apparently this new shocked nobody in the room.

After Laura and Katie made out as part of a dare, I wound up taking a dare myself. "Kiss Katie," Laura giggled like a 10th grader.

We moved in and made out for a minute or two. She was a good kisser, I now understand why gay guys make out with women for no other reason that to have someone to kiss.

When we pulled away, Katie had put on that dangerous smile again. "You're good at that," she said, biting her lower lip.

On the walk home, I grilled Laura. "How did she know!?" I begged.

"Oh, she asked me when we were just leaving her place actually. I was surprised she knew that early, but she's a good judge of character," Laura said.

Wow. I got discovered! People can tell! I may be broadcasting signals! At the entirely wrong sex and orientation, true, but this is big news for me.

We made eggs for breakfast, I showered, and finally went to sleep at 5:30, a smile still on my face. I guess I may not be such a failure in the broadcasting department as I thought I was.

4 comments:

Matt in Argyle said...

wow, spiked coffees. you rebel you.

although, that does give me a good idea for my morning coffee!

J.R. said...

Hmmm... Is it possible that making out with girls can actually be fun when it's expected not to lead anywhere?? Maybe I'll have to give it another go one of these days :)

Nothing Golden Stays

W said...

Seems like you had fun at Nuit Blanche.Toilets on water?

Coffee and Baileys. Lip smackingly delicious!

Naijadude said...

wow, I miss Toronto in times like this.... I would have had more spiked coffees all night than you did!..

Now its official, someone can tell you are GAY!!