Tuesday, October 30, 2007

"You do realize I'm gay..."

So I found a way to tell Becca today.

We had sat down to lunch, and were digging into our sandwiches when she asked me what we'd done in our Monday class she had conveniently slept in and missed.

I gave a brief recap, with the things that immediately came to mind.

"But really, I don't so much take notes for that class, I write down how many minutes he spends harping on a topic. For instance, he spent 15 minutes talking about our midterm results, even though he didn't give them back to us," I said. "Here, let me grab my notebook and we'll see what else he said.

As I was reaching into my bag, she gave me my introduction. "You just don't like him because he's a fag."

There was one of those seconds-that-feels-like-years pauses, and I looked back up across the table at her.

"You do realize I'm gay," I said, staring her straight in the eye.

The sandwich that was halfway in her mouth fell from her hands and onto the wrapper on the tabletop, followed by the chunk she'd just taken a bite out of. Her eyes bugged out a little, and she gaped at me with now-empty hands.

"Uh, NO!" she said. She whipped herself into this fluster, waving her hands and repeating, "No way, you're kidding, I didn't know!"

I smiled tightly. She calmed down a moment later.

"Oh, wow," she said. "I mean...wow. So I really don't have any straight male friends. And here I thought you were the only one."

I laughed, and reminded her of at least one guy I know is straight she hangs out with. But I had to bite my tongue and refrain from asking her about the other 'straight' guys she hangs out with...who must not be so straight after all.

"So, how's being gay?" she asked, clearly looking for a clever comeback to such bombshell news.

"Oh, you know, it's fine. I'm not the exciting kind," I said, "so there's no shameless nudity and group sex."

"Damn," she said, "see, those are the only types I know, flaming homos they are...dancing around the bar with no clothes on...I think I like you better."

"Ha," I said, "you're a lucky girl, enjoy the view when you guys are out!"

"So, tell me about your notes then..." she said, ending the gay portion of our conversation.

All I can say, definitely one of the more memorable coming-out's I've had.

8 comments:

Closet Frat Boy said...

I said, "so there's no shameless nudity and group sex."

And here I was expecting shameless nudity and group sex after I come out. Damn.

Glad she was fine with it.

W said...

Memorable coming out experienc indeed!

Sandwich falling out, hahaha...you must then pass off as a straight dude

Happy Halloween

Queen of Arts said...

This kind of blog posting would be one to keep for posterity -- fleshed out a little, it would make an excellent short personal narrative ;)

GEORGE said...

great way to come out! she sounds fun. be sure to meet her friends!

Troystopher said...

LOL, I love when girls respond like that! :0)

B said...

Sounds memorable indeed.

JBGBC said...

I need a fruit fly! Good story though!

K said...

Haha...that was a cute coming out.

I suppose it isn't so bad after all....