Monday, October 29, 2007

It happened again...

I keep running into that boy!

Today it wasn't the elevator...it was clear across town. I was walking on the street, minding my own, a fresh coffee in hand before heading to my next class. I'd taken a long walk off campus to enjoy the sun and help wake me up after an early morning of class. As I was making my way, slowly, in the direction of campus, someone entered my peripheral vision.

I was caught by his height, which I like, so I slowly shifted my head. And who greeted my gaze but Elevator Boy.

I think I opened my mouth a crack and made some feeble noise, but he didn't notice, headphone firmly planted in his ears. He must have recognized me, we were literally standing beside each other.

Seconds later, he was making headway and was feet in front of me. This is strange, because I can out-walk anyone in Toronto, yet he blew by me either in an obvious hurry or out of terror at seeing me again.

It's not fair for him to flee me so. After all, I was the one aimlessly walking on the sidewalk when he came up behind me. If he didn't recognize me until he was on top of me, he should have damn well fallen back if he felt all creepy-stalkerish.

Who knows, maybe this is just turning into a strange urban game, see where we can spot each other but avoid all contact.

And here I was...almost ready to introduce myself upon our next chance meeting, when he takes me completely off guard and screws it up.

---

I messaged Former (Gay) Best Friend the other day. Days ago, actually, after Tim basically threatened to do it for me. I tried being upbeat, and didn't mention the whole gay thing. Instead I said we should just catch up with each other, since we're both in town.

As of this moment, I still haven't heard back. I guess it's possible he didn't check his messages, but the amount of time it's taken is a little puzzling. I mean, even to just say no takes very few minutes.

Maybe he's thrown by this 'voice from the past' thing. I mean, if I were in the same position, I'd probably think about it for a few days before replying. I'm trying to remain optimistic about the whole thing, while rehearsing ways to slip in my important questions to coffee conversation.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I'd contact your former best friend again. It can't hurt, just keep trying. It can't hurt and could be quite fun.

Cody said...

I've got it, next time you see Elevator Boy, touch him on the shoulder and say, "Tag! You're it!" Then run off. Later, Elevator Boy will discover that a sticky note with a phone number written on it has mysteriously appeared on his shoulder. After a moment of contemplation, he will smile, realize it was his own "Elevator Boy", then go post an entry about it in his blog. It's destiny! Yay!

Jake said...

Think outside the box here. Maybe it's him whose stalking you, taking photos, and praising you at a makeshift altar on his blog.

SO don't feel too weird!