Saturday, March 24, 2007

Developments...

My grandparents demanded that we have a family day tomorrow.

We're all going away at seperate times over the next month or so, and although we just had my mom's birthday a few weekends ago, they felt the need to get us all back together.

They're also not the type to do the gentle "What's everyone doing this weekend?" It was very blunt, very basic...we're coming up. Everyone be there. That is all.

So I made the trip home, not really wanting to, missing a few social opportunities to keep the peace with the family. I had no idea that I would wind up coming out to my mom tonight.

It all went down easily enough. Dad was away for the evening, so we had lots of time to talk. She was ready to settle in for the night at about 8:30, and I sat on the couch opposite her and just asked, "Can we talk?"

"Oh...ok," she said, scratching her head. "It's not too serious, is it?"

I laughed humourlessly. "Well...not really."

I then started my tale, leading off with, "Well, last week when we were talking about relationships...I actually just got dumped last week."

I explained that I had been in a relationship with a guy, when it started and that it'd ended. She immediately questioned what 'relationship' meant...and as I found out she's got a somewhat skewed sense of the way 'the other side' works.

We talked for about 2 hours. It was constructive, not too messy. Nothing too offensive was said (and what was wasn't intentional). She took it in varying stages, but handeled it really well. By the end of the evening, she said goodnight and gave me a long hug and an "I love you."

I'll give you the full account of the story, but I'm still processing it all myself. It actually raised several questions for me about coming out, but made me feel good about myself and made me realize things that I wasn't completely sure of before. So I'm now out to yet another person, this one a little more important than others before.

No comments: