Friday, March 16, 2007

In other, more ironic news...

Last night, before my being dumped, I had Laura over for pizza and wine.

It was our tradition this year, usually meeting one night a week to crack open a bottle and eat pizza, and catch up on whats new. As usual, our conversation covered pretty much every subject, then came to sex.

We were outside on the balcony enjoying the last few minutes of warmpth when she did the whole "personal question" thing about my sex life. Not that I haven't already told her pretty much everything pre-January, but she must have thought there had been new developments.

So I looked her in the eye, and said, "Do you really want to know. I mean, really seriously."

She was even more interested, since I put so much weight on the whole thing. But she wanted to know. So we came back in, sat down at the table, and I again looked her in the eye and said, "I'm bisexual."

Her reaction wasn't really that big. I don't remember what she said, but it wasn't a recoil of horror. She just kinda said that's cool, and how one of her ex-boyfriends was bi. She asked about when I knew, and when I started doing guys, and what had I done...all the 'usual' questions (as I'm learning). She even asked the 'awkward' question, but I cut her off before she could actually get it out with "Yeah, I'm vers."

We talked about it, and she was actually really interested. We talked about coming out to more people, and she was very sympathetic about my worries of coming out to people at home. It was another great coming out. She never balked at anything, was completely alright with it, reassured me that everyone else will be too, and made me feel good about the fact that I'd just come out to another of my best friends. The only thing that made me laugh a little was the fact she demanded to know why I hadn't told her sooner. At that point I got a huge hug from her, and an "I love you so much." It really almost made me cry, because she truly meant it, and I don't get to see that part of her very often. It felt great to hear.

Then I got to tell her how I was in a relationship, and she got all excited (since it's been such a long while) and wanted all the details. I gave a very breif recap, but didn't tell her about any of the specifics, like my Valentines. She was really looking forward to meeting him, and we'd planned to go out for St.Patty's day.

Of course, after we talked about it all, I had to ask her if she was surprised. And she said that she never suspected it. So chalk up one that said she knew, and one that said she didn't. I wanted to know about the statement she made in Ottawa when I was joking about going out with one of our mutual (male) friends. She laughed, and said she meant it more that she could believe it from HIM, not as a subtle hint to me.

I felt really great about the whole experience. She went home at about 10, I walked her to the corner and grabbed Starbucks, and came back to get dumped. It was really ironic, after the fact, to realize that just an hour ago I'd been praised for being in a relationship, and had recieved all sorts of well wishes, and made plans to do the introduction thing, only to find myself no longer in said relationship.

After the incident, I e-mailed her and told her the bad news, because I felt like I needed to tell someone. I said I didn't know what to do this weekend, because now my plans were shot to shit, and that I'd probably be heading out of town because I didn't want to spend the weekend alone.

In the morning I got treated to a very morale-boosting e-mail from her, saying that if anyone didn't see how great of a guy I was and didn't want to stick with me, then fuck them. And that we're still going out for St.Patty's, or staying in, or whatever.

So now I'm feeling better about the weekend, since we've made a bunch of plans to write essays and go out this weekend. I might even be looking forward to it.

No comments: